How Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Believe it or not, I completely understand that predilection. It, is actually one of the better 'reasons' in this regard imho.

I felt, and still do really, that way about smart phones.

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes sir cherry. If Nostalgia is important to you then by all means it's certainly understandable why you choose the things you do. In all elements of your life not only music that could be the biggest difference between you and I. My only concern is what I hear not what I see. So really no right or wrong in that case

3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

My Brother is the same way: he has fought and fought getting a smart phone, and will do so until it is no longer practical. I have 1 and don't come anywhere close to using it to its potential.

Kinda creeps me out, like that new Alexa thingie from Amazon--it records even when off :shock:

Nah, no wrong either way. Nostalgia is very important--it was one of the main reasons for my selecting my Challenger--I just really dig those '70s muscle cars, and the Challenger was built in that vein.

Hey, difference is good, and as you know, we've played to our similarities on the phone and in correspondence :applause:

4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

One of these days you are going to let me ship you my entire AXE setup. Then we'll see how much you are still in love with nostalgia

5. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I am the Phantom **** Stirrer...!!!!!! Bwhahahahaha......:naughty: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

sure do like to come back to a thread where there been a bit of strife to find out all is well. Damn,its good to be back,ya know?? Missed all these family fights and such :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

6. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

If there is a problem as in a breach of the rules, report the post.

7. bungle

bungle Senior Member

A nice little Carr Raleigh amp popped up on local classifieds. Also a killer 5watt Suhr. Both good prices. They are were on my short list a couple years ago, would have snapped em up in a second...:hmm: but I've spent too much time reading these threads. You guys have actually saved me some coin I suppose. I would love to try the Axe or Kemper in person but it's not goina happen in my neck of the woods. Guess I'll l wait and see what happens... as you were gentlemen.:D

8. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

I accidently wandered in here because the new layout of MLP never let's me click on the link I want to :laugh2: I'll answer the OP though...

I stay motivated by learning new things and attempting to write music. Playing is fun for me. When I started to play again after a long absence I bought a Mustang III. Sounded good enough, but I found myself settling on one or two presets. I'm no tone chaser.

Then I saw an ad for a cheap tube amp (which I had previously never owned one) and decided to give it a go. I loved the way it sounded and I've played non stop through it. The first time I turned the Mustang in in months was the last video I posted because I wanted something a little different. But I still play through the cheap tube amp every night.

I'm not opposed to a Kemper. I'd love to try one out, but I'm a simple man to please. That's a lot of scratch and I'm perfectly content with my 15W tube amp with the occasional plugging in of the Mustang. Playing the guitar inspires me, not a million amps at my finger tips.

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Pretty much my experience too, DotStudio. Could always change in the future.

And cherrysunburst00's post also rings true with me. Girlfriends have always said I'm a romantic at heart, and it's true. The romanticised LP with a tube Marshall speaks to me more than any combo.

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Both endorsed Tone Models based on their sounds for the Blues Cubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9y8yCLYWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1wLwfyOnM

They probably don't play the cubes that much (especially since RF has an authentic Dumble) but they wouldn't lend their names and rep to crap.

There are professional guitar players that don't even take their amps out on tour and simply ask for an amp from a short list be there instead. EDI or simply take their modelling setup (easy to carry).

11. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Back on topic, I have spent much more time practicing with the Axe due to its massive versatility. I'm into all types of rock and metal and no one amp could cover it all for me - I tried. But this is excellent. Recently I've been in a southern rock mood. Next week I'll be on a maiden kick. All and more done easily and amazingly well. Keeps me playing longer

12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I got frustrated with one of my setups a while back and it really impacted my playing time. I found I spent more time trying to get a tone I wanted (& really couldn't) and therefore less time playing/practicing and it was more discouraging. I sold that gear and hope to have a Helix later this year (possibly an AX8) as I want to be free of the PC when actually playing/practicing but don't mind being hooked up to setup my various tones initially.

13. KenG

KenG Senior Member

You should easily be able to access a Helix if you are of a mind. It doesn't get as much love here but on TGP in the D&M forum it's one of the BIG 3! Some great demos there on stuff as well be players.

14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

What's D&M?

15. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Digital & Modelling. It's like this sub forum but with only half the butthurt. :D

16. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

It can definitely hold its own, If I had only a Helix I could be VERY happy.

17. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I can, but I feel like you're missing my point a little. Let's see if I can explain this using a simple example.

Imagine I have a delay. Let's say it's set for 80 ms to give a rock n roll slap. While playing a solo, I might imagine a longer delay over what I'm playing. A big, stadium like 350 ms. But I can't get it right now. The only thing I can do in this instant is either turn my delay on, or leave it off. That's the domain of possible actions while I'm in the middle of this solo. I can't realistically adjust the parameters of that effect while still playing.

So with what's available right in this instant, I just have to work with it and try to get as close as I can to what I can hear in my head. That might mean leaving the delay off rather than introduce the 'wrong' sound.

Now, I could instead have a multi FX unit with lots of different delay settings programmed. Yay. Except for it to make everything possible, I'd have to have a patch programmed for every conceivable delay setting I might want. I suppose that's possible, but not likely and nor is it very practical. I'd still have to scroll through the patches to get the right one. Even with a good MIDI floor controller, that'd still be a major challenge to do on the fly unless it was a patch change I expected and set up beforehand. But that's no longer doing it on the fly and reaching for the unexpected inspiration as it happens.

There's a form of ancient Japanese water painting that's done on the fly, really fast. It's supposed to be simple. Austere, even. The mistakes are part of it, and it's not supposed to be revisited. It is what it is, and the speed of the execution is supposed to help capture the movement and life of the subject.

Live music is a lot like that. Once you set the note free of the fret board, it's gone. You can't call it back. The pared back approach I'm describing above is a really powerful tool to hone your live playing, and it's also a really useful approach in the live setting itself.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying you should ditch all your gear and go back to a guitar, a cable and a tweed amp. What I am saying is that occasionally paring back your gear and taking the simpler approach is a useful exercise, and one that I find liberating. When I do this from time to time, it's like shrugging a weight off. In the end I always go back to my full rig, because it enables me to get the full range of sounds I want, but the minimal rig is a change like a holiday. Sometimes it's a holiday that lasts weeks or months. :naughty: It's also one of the things that keeps the instrument interesting, which is why I raised this point in relation to the OP.

There is freedom in simplicity.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Outstanding post IMHO. :thumb: :applause:

It's why I don't use Pedals most of the time & why I decided not to get an AXE FXII, after having access to one. It is all too much of everything, when I prefer simplicity.

I do see the potential benefits of the AXE8 or Kemper (which I can borrow off a mate who has one, which he uses along with loads of Tube Amps) so no doubt I may end up with one as well and use both depending on what I'm doing.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

19. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

100% incorrect. On the Helix (others may have a similar feature), you have "Snapshot" and "Stomps" within a preset. They can both turn on and off FX, as well as change multiple parameters. All within the same patch. Its about as convenient and practical as you could imagine. All you have to do is set it up beforehand.

Want to change from 80ms for you rhythm part to 350ms for you blistering solo? Simple hit a switch. Oh, and you can also boost your mids and drop your low end on that switch too at the same time so your solo can be louder.

20. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Please read what I actually wrote and respond to that, rather than what you think I wrote.

This line here demonstrates that you've either not read it or not understood it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.