How Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I sincerely hope that I have never been one of the "back-handers" or "passive aggressors" because I really think anything that gets guys playing is great.

I've been afraid to post because I have seen that there are certain phrases that draw fire and I don't wish to unknowingly utter them.

Whenever I have said that "I am not ready at this time" it is never intended in any way to denigrate modelers and profilers. I have struggled and struggled over which approach works best for me. I sincerely do not believe that tubes are inherently superior, and I readily acknowledge their flaws. I can't explain why, but there is just "something" that attracts me to tube amps.

So, if I have ever been perceived as a "pot stirrer" I apologize and attribute it to the inherent shortcomings of online vs face to face.

OK, I'll shut the heck up now

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It's all this thread was ever suppose to be about.. right there.

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I do not want to be confrontational. I really, really do not.

I DO want to understand.

But, that is hard to do, if you don't put a WHY, or specifics to the "I don't consider this thread, or the one that preceded it, to be constructive in any shape or form. It's uncomfortable to come here and read this stuff, ".

4. cybermgk

CSB, rest assured YOU are not a pot stirrer. :D

Never thought so. I don't think anyone has.

I will, as a friend encourage you to figure out the "I can't explain why, but there is just "something" that attracts me to tube amps.
    " before you go through 50+ amps LOL. (meant in jest btw)

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This thread is about as valuable as any of the many millions in this forum. The value is only what one takes from it. I am sure there are many that have taken

"FrankV is a real dick"

From this thread.. So, it has value. hahahahahah

6. cybermgk

Had a feeling :D

7. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Nope, that's not what I said or meant.

I was describing an approach that is independent of gear. It therefore doesn't matter if you're using an emulation or a Marshall or a Vox Amp Plug. The point of the approach is to use the gear in the instant to reach for what you hear with your inner ear. It's about making the instrument conform to your will where that's possible, and adapting and creating where it's not. And doing it in real time.

8. cybermgk

I thought so, but wanted to be clear.

:D Now imagine doing that, but having many different amps to do that with?

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks for the apology, cybermgk. Appreciated, though not necessary. I also apologize for where I crossed any lines. :cheers2:

10. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Which modelling amps do Eric Johnson (other than the Fender G Dec) and Robben Ford use?

11. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

I'm going to disagree with you. There are many constructive points in this thread. My objective is to keep it constructive.

There are many merits to be discussed about modeling amps. What we don't need is to crap on the fans of tube amps in the process.

12. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Have they changed over? Saw EJ about a yr ago and he was playing thru fender twins and a Marshall stack. Roland had come out with a sig EJ amp so I wonder if that changed things.

RF has been a Dumble guy for a while. Last stuff I have seen on his rig is about a yr old. So things can change.

13. cybermgk

Is that same sentiment going to be enforced in Squawk Box Threads, the other way around? I am serious. There are SOME discussions there, be it What amp should I get...., that actually discussion of modelers or profilers is valid and, for many of us warranted. OFTEN get crapped on when you do though...

14. frankv

It took a lot of guts for you to throw a backhanded comment like that in light of everything that's going on over the last day

15. cybermgk

More of a passive aggressive insult.

Back-handed compliment would have been "Eric Johnson used a modeler, a G Dec, when he was just starting out, when he was 5".

16. frankv

It was your typical backhanded comment denigrating modelers. Meanwhile both of those players could get by with any Fender amp available. It's not their tone that wow people. It's their playing.

So here is a guy that clearly has no interest being here...but he has an interest in stirring the pot.

17. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I believe he used the G Dec backstage as a warm up amp. And very nice they are too - I have one for home use.

18. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

meh... maybe, maybe not. He did not show much of his hand. Answered and moved on. In any event these old guys are not going to define what guitars will be played and what those guitars will be played thru. And I am one of these old guys. Our day is past. Time will tell on modelers. Some say yeah...Some say nay... ??????

19. cybermgk

Yea there are a lot of artists/bands that do similar. You would find a lot of Mustangs, G decs, ID Cores backstage.

20. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Thanks, cyber. I so don't want to be a troll.

I have indeed been doing lots of thinking and for some reason today, I am in a particularly contemplative mood. I think it has finally dawned on me: I like tubes because they are old school technology and oddities in today's increasingly electronic world.

I have a penchant for old things (as a history teacher, I guess that makes sense) I've come to increasingly like the old Norlin LPs.

I also like odd things--like the Les Paul Deluxe (pickguard on :naughty:) with its minibuckers and pancake body--that is just SOOOO KEWEL!. I also like the wide binding in the cutaway, another oddity in the overall history of LPs. I'm intrigued and fascinated with the LP Studio Lite (balsa inserts) and plan on getting 1 some day. I like the 2008 model chambered LPs as well (but without pickup splitting).

So there it is, your challenge finally helped me to crystalize why I prefer tubes.

That said, I think it's really cool that the audio engineering folk have been able to replicate authentic tube tones. My Brother said a few years back that he just couldn't believe that it couldn't be done, and sure enough.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and now, off to the treadmill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.