How good or bad my guitar sounds?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by DylanLP, Oct 23, 2018.

1. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Hi, I did few recordings and want your feedback if my guitar sounds good or bad. The recordings were carried out with 15w Peavey Rage captured through iPhone voice memos. No effects, Les Paul straight to amp.

1- Rhythm medium gain (bridge pickup)
    2- Rhythm high gain (bridge pickup)
    3- solo (neck pickup)

I'd appreciate if you can tell me where the problem lies, in the pickups or amp...etc? I have a Laney GH100L amp but haven't got it with me at the moment. Thanks

2. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

I for one wouldn't put too much stock into an iPhone voice memo recording for discerning actual quality. To me, most clips recorded that way sound pretty underwhelming from the get-go, to the point of overshadowing any other characteristics your guitar and amp may have, for better or for worse. That being said, I was not a fan of the "high gain" tone clip you uploaded. Far too fuzzy and buzz-saw like for my tastes, lacking any body to it.

i.e.- here are a couple isolated solo clips I recorded. Instead of trying to capture it from my phone, I pulled them from a couple different recording sessions/songs I was recording on a daw, specifically Logic. In this way, I don't have any other ancillary stuff that your phone may be picking up or lacking in when it comes to trying to judge tones in particular.

https://soundcloud.com/johnucol/prs-custom-24-solo-excerpt-isolated

https://soundcloud.com/johnucol/prs-custom24-solo-clip-song-of-passing

Dun Ringill likes this.
  3. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Appreciate the feedback and great sounding solos. I don't think I have other means of recording. What did you use to records your solos, what do you recommend I should get?

4. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Thanks. In those cases, I used either an Axe-FX or a Kemper (the latter with a Clarrett interface) directly into Logic.

These days, I think it's a lot easier than say several years ago to DIY some good recorded tones. I don't know what your budget may be, but it can be as simple as a guitar, a dedicated interface (USB 2.0 interfaces are still just fine), and a DAW + laptop that's cut out for recording music. The last thing you want is for it to fart out while recording a perfect take, haha.
    While you could mic up either amp, amp-sims are also a viable choice. And there are plenty that sound decent, too, such as Helix native, Fortin Nameless, JST Tones, Slate S-Gear, some Waves stuff are ok, etc.

5. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

I'm not downloading clips (sorry, nothing personal). I'd suggest hosting on a streaming site like Soundcloud

slug_maine, PierM and Dun Ringill like this.
  6. Ringwood

Ringwood Member

i was unable to download these at work to audition, but i can say 2 things.
    Recording on an iPhone will not give you a recording good enough to evaluate your guitar sound. for one thing the iPhones microphone will most likely overload adding even more distortion before its even recorded.
    i use the italk app to capture guitar riffs and ideas, but not for recording for real.

second, "good or bad" is totally up to the way you decide to hear it. Some people might think that Hendrix's guitar tone was bad, others , myself included, love it, and thats doesn't mean that its the amp or guitar thats bad either, it may be the settings.

If you want a very quick way to record ideas that sound better than an iPhone I use one of those Zoom recorders similar to this https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h1n-handy-recorder
    theres many different models and brands you can research.

also i think you can plug a microphone into an iPhone with some adaptors, I've never done it.

7. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Sounds like there are few choices laying around. Thanks

8. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Fair enough! SoundCloud it is... thanks

9. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Yes guitar sounds/tone is personal but unfortunately I don’t mix face to face with other guitarists so you guys the only ones who can provide whatever feedback that I could get and improve upon. Thanks

10. Ringwood

Ringwood Member

once u post the sound cloud link I'd be happy to give my opinion. Is it your tone or your playing you are seeking feedback from?
    id still suggest as a good starting point to get a better recording device.
    (no "feedback" jokes forum funnies!)

DylanLP likes this.
  11. frozenotter

frozenotter Premium Member

SoundCloud or not even the time of day from me. :rolleyes:

:laugh2:

DylanLP likes this.
  12. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Cool then I’ll re-record the tunes using SoundCloud once I find the time... watch this space

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I listened to the first clip (loved the Dio's riff!). Sounds okay but hard to tell due to how it's recorded.

14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I listened to the first clip (loved the Dio's riff!). Sounds okay but hard to tell due to how it's recorded.

15. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

Thank you for loving the riff and your feedback on the recording quality. l do have to explore better means for recording

16. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

You're welcome! Please keep us posted.

DylanLP likes this.