How easy is it to add a headphone output to an amplifier

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Troy McClure, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Looking to add a headphone output to a Vibro Champ XD if it's not too complicated, thanks.

2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

It is too complicated.

EDIT: I realized my post was a bit too light on information......

The circuit isn't designed to have a spot with the output at a level you can feed headphones.

Modding the circuit to the point where you could hook up headphones might be possible, but you asked if it were too complicated.

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Yeah, a load box (attenuator) is necessary so things don't go boom. There are plans on the web to build your own quite cheaply if you're handy, but they are expensive to buy. My Marshall Class 5 has a built in attenuator and a headphone out.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

If you want to play through headphones and you have a PC / MAC / iPad then something like Guitar Rig or Amplitube will probably get you better results than attempting to attenuate a valve amp speaker signal down to headphone level.

northernguitarguy and spitfire like this.
  6. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

It's not clear from your post if you just want headphones added, or want headphones but no speaker output.

I can't see why you'd want headphones and not cut the speaker. So I'll assume that. If that's what you want, you need something to be a dummy load for the amp and then a tap for the headphones. That's what tzd suggested. That thing seems to be overkill for what you want, but looks to be pretty flexible.

Seems expensive given the low tech electronics it most likely has, but they probably don't sell them in huge quantities, so that is probably why.

If you really want to build it yourself. You could use an 8 ohm power resistors (or whatever matches the nominal speaker impedance) as a dummy load. Use a voltage divider to tap off that. You'd have to experiment with values. I might start with a 1 K resistor from the speaker to a volume pot rated at 100 ohms.

If the headphone impedance is too low though it would start interacting with the voltage divider and perhaps not work as expected. However, this is a very brute force approach. Much of the tone comes from the speaker. If you remove that, you'll hear a very bright, nail through the head sound you won't like.

The more I think about this, the better that widget tzd recommended looks. Might be other less expensive things similar, but there's several things going on to bypass a speaker, add headphones, and have it sound like it should.

I also, agree with tolm that Ampltube or similar will give you a much better sound and a lot more choices.

7. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron and made fuzz pedals from scratch in the past but it seems it's probably not worth the effort. Maybe I'll try one of those headphone amp things as they seem cheap enough but I guess the price will dictate their quality too :( Wanted to avoid the latency issues with going the software route.
    [​IMG]

Who and northernguitarguy like this.
  8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Those VOX AmPlugs aren't too shabby. I personally hate playing through headphones, but the tone on the AmPlug I've played with was pleasing.

efstop likes this.
  9. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I concur with NGG. I have an AmPlug that I use a lot of the time.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  10. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Grab one of these: Focusrite
    Job done. Wire it up as follows: guitar > focusrite > PC > headphones
    For recording, record somewhere you can make some noise or.. build an isolation cabinet.
    If you are serious about guitar and you're one of those people (like me) who doesn't want to 'practice' on a crappy ss amp but on a dimed AC30 or plexi etc. you will want to move somewhere making noise isn't an issue. :)
    This is why .. you don't want to drop put of college to 'make it big' as a working musician: big houses in the country cost $$$$'s. Hehe.