How does a Duesenberg 59er sound? Is it much different than a LP?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by davidrf, May 17, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

1. davidrf

davidrf Member

Hi there,
    I never had the chance to try a Duesenberg 59er, and online you can find very scarce informations. I wonder if someone could tell me how this guitar sounds. I guess it's quite different from a Les Paul, having the "Fender" scale lenght and the thin, chambered body. Or am I wrong?

What other guitars could you compare the 59er to, to make me understand (more or less) how it sounds? Thanks a lot.

https://www.duesenberg.de/en/guitars/59er

2. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

Much different beast. I'd say a cross between a Tele and a P90 equipped Les Paul special.

A very nice guitar, but just not for someone looking for a Les Paul.

davidrf likes this.
  3. davidrf

davidrf Member

Damn, there is THAT kind of a difference? Wow. Compariso with Les Pauls aside, do you think it is best suited for blues/classic rock and stuff like that or it can handle grunge/punk/hard rock too?

4. lespaulfreak93

Remember, this is all my opinion. I did have a moment when it was a dream to own one and played many duesenbergs.

It's an incredibly versatile guitar, as are all Duesenbergs resembling traditional singlecuts. They have some very interesting pickups and electronics in general. The build quality is flawless and the necks are very nice. You can get some "convincing" Les Paul territory sounds, but never "genuine wow this is definitely a classic les paul" sounds.
    If you can get one for a good price, go for it, it's an inspiring guitar.

Having said that, if you wanna save some money and are looking for something vaguely LP-ish, try a Starplayer Special. That thing is a true BEAST!
    Genres? It will nail anything, no guitars are genre-specific. You can play anything on anything. But in terms of what a blues player and what a hard rock player needs, it is very good. The string definition in the sound is very clear, and it is a very responsive guitar. I cannot recommend it enough.

Oh, the only shady thing about Duesenberg is that they market themselves as a German company, but are actually IIRC made in Korea.

5. davidrf

davidrf Member

What? That's another surprise. I always looked down on the Special thinking it was the "poor man's Duesenberg". So the Special is heavier sounding than the 59er?

P.S.
    By the way I found an "as new" 59er tobacco sunburst at 1400$

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 11:34 PM
  6. lespaulfreak93

That's a pretty alright price for a 59er. Do not look down on the Special, it truly is a versatile beast. All duesenbergs that aren't hollow will do heavy music just fine. Their pickups truly are something special. The difference is they're bolt on, but have a nice, very smooth satin neck. Any you get will be fine.

7. davidrf

davidrf Member

Maybe I even got the guy to lower the price to 1200$ (actually it's 1200€, I live in Italy, but that's pretty much the same thing). I'm strongly thinking about it. The problem is, here Duesenberg used market is almost non-existent, and I would struggle to re-sell the guitar even at 1200€ if I don't like it.

lespaulfreak93 likes this.
  8. lespaulfreak93

1200 euro!? That's almost half-price! Amazing deal. Go for it and try it. It's already at re-sale value, so if you sell it again, you should be able to get the same price.
    It's a great deal. Go test it.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

and that's the reason why they are way overpriced - IMO

lespaulfreak93 likes this.
  10. davidrf

davidrf Member

I actually passed on that. I'm sure it's a great guitar and it's a very good deal for only 1200€, but I found an Anderton video where they play the 59er and it doen't match the sound I'd like to get... It sounded like a Tele/SG/Strat hybrid to me, and right now I'm leaning way more towards classic LP territory sounds and scale length :\

11. lespaulfreak93

Full story is - they were the "IT" guitars for a few years, people believed they were hand made in Germany, their prices were as high as Suhr, they got a few endorsers, including Mike Campbell and Ronnie Wood, somehow they were able to sell them without a single "Made in" sticker anywhere on them, people finally found out they're mass produced in Korea (don't be fooled, their quality is amazing) and they refused to acknowledge it, and the bubble burst. Duesenberg is now a thing of the past, great guitar nonetheless.

For that price, get a new FGN guitar here in Europe, or a Tokai. Half the "other singlecut" forum is about them.

12. lespaulfreak93

13. davidrf

davidrf Member

I went down the hole of MIJ guitars a few weeks ago, but I noticed their prices are bloating out of proportion now that they're more or less common knowledge... every good Tokai or Orville etc. went up 25-30% in price, at least ere...

14. lespaulfreak93

That is true. You are getting a better guitar, available easily at Thomann, for a few hundred Euro less than a Gibson, and with just as good (would say better) quality...

You're looking for a good classic Les Paul, but not a Gibson, there's your choice.
    It's made to be played, not an investment :)
    Heck, I remember when they were so cheap, nobody wanted them. They're still worth it at the higher prices.

Or, for something European made, there's Maybach and Jolana, which will custom build you a Les Paul with your hardware choice for 1000 Euro.

davidrf likes this.
  15. Perverockstar

Perverockstar Junior Member

I'd recommend getting a Tokai as well, there are some retailers in Europe

16. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Maybach are pretty stinking good guitars. And honest about where and how they are built. I’d that matters

17. paruwi

18. paruwi

though not really honest about the chambering, at least in the beginning :naughty:

19. paruwi

custom build for 1000€ ?

Jolana - Yes
    Maybach - No

20. lespaulfreak93

@paruwi I meant Jolana, could've phrased that differently. I think the Maybach customs are around 3k Euro, but the standards are damn fine too. All made in the Czech Republic, except for the Maybach Semi-hollows which are made in France IIRC

paruwi likes this.