How do you set your delay in a live setting?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Page/lespaulfreak, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Page/lespaulfreak

Page/lespaulfreak Senior Member

I bought a BOSS ME 80 Multi FX pedal last year and have been learning how to set up the delay for home use and recording with it. Since the pedal has a small screen that displays the milliseconds of the delay, I take out my phone, tap the beat of the song on my metronome app to get the bpm, divide that by 60 to get the quarter note ms, multiply it by 750 if I want the dotted eighth note or divide it by 2 if I just want the regular eighth note.

This method has worked great when I'm at home and recording because I can follow the metronome and get the exact BPM of the song. I was jamming with a friend on Friday and it was a different story. I found myself unable to figure the BPM of what we were jamming to on the fly and the tap tempo option on the Boss Me 80 pedal isn't very accurate when registering taps.

So, tap tempo aside, how do you set up your delay in a live setting where things get unpredictable?

I would like to be able to set my delay without having to rely on my calculator or the little screen that displays the milliseconds.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Wow! I just use my ear..... I never even thought about all that math! That's pretty impressive.:dude:

i take it your foot is not a good tapper for the timing... is there a knob to spin up or down the speed?

I have often put my line 6 floor pedal on a music stand if i know i will be hammering out small details during a set.

That way I can see the display easy and use my fingers on the adjusters for quicker settings.

YMMV...

frozenotter and bulletproof like this.
  3. Page/lespaulfreak

There is. The delay settings on the ME 80 are time, feedback and level. I can tap my foot to the beat of a song just fine (If I couldn't do that, following a metronome would be next to impossible). The tap tempo setting on the pedal just doesn't register the taps in real time (I believe there is a bit of a delay when registering the tap.

4. DarrellV

Ok, that's kinda retarded from the design side. To build a delay with a non time sensitive tap input...

Just wondering how many taps or how long you do the taps. I've had to keep tapping my Line 6 at least a half dozen times or more to get it to finally lock up with what i want. I just keep going until the blink lines up with my foot.

Worse case if this is mission critical you could get another outboard programmable delay box. Plug it in with your pedal and use it to store your delay patterns.

[​IMG]

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Page/lespaulfreak

I usually turn on the metronome and tap along to the beat until it syncs (I can get it to sink after maybe 6 attempts). Still, that's unreliable in a live setting. I'm not stop playing and start tapping my foot to the beat of the song until it syncs up

DarrellV likes this.
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

When I did gig, I made note of the different times I needed for particular songs and adjusted my settings accordingly (I used an old stand-alone DD and it didn't have presets).

More important for me was delay level. Too loud can really clutter a mix. If you're lucky enough to get a soundcheck, use that to get it dialed in. If not, err on the side of too quiet.

7. DarrellV

Sounds like it might be time for a trade in and up... Looks like you've passed the limits of its usefulness and need something better.

This is usually how I can tell if I've reached the limit with a piece of gear.

If it is noticeably impeding me beyond my ability to live with its little quirks, its got to go.

Its a delay box not some magic unicorn dust machine that does magic on your sound that only it can do...

LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

8. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Quote from Guitartoneoverload.com, "
    Delay Time and Tempo
    You will often read or hear that the delay time should be set according to the tempo of the song you are playing. I don’t think this is always true. If you are using the delay to obtain a rhythmical effect (think The Edge from U2 or Pink Floyd’s “Run like Hell”), then yes the delay time should follow the tempo of the song. But if you are using the delay to fatten your tone (as we will see in Part 2), I don’t think following the tempo of the song is so important."

9. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

I use an MXR Carbon Copy set with a long delay time (about 2 o’clock) and low feedback / level (both at about 10 o’clock) for a sort of “background ambient” thing. Mainly on arpeggio lines on stuff like The Killers’ Mr. Brightside.

Keep meaning to try a slap back setting but the above just seems to work whenever I need it and involves no thought about changing settings!

Classicplayer likes this.
  10. frozenotter

frozenotter Prominent Member (Has a) Premium Member

I use the "set it and forget it" method. :cheers:

garybaldy and ehb like this.
  11. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I rarely used DDL once I got DRev.... I use DR to take the edge off a bit...

DDL can create too much clutter if one is not listening to the aggregate sound...

I used the rule 'what sounds good at the house alone is waaaay too much onstage'....

Usually works out that way...

Wanna hear something really cool, ELoop out through a DRev and then an EQ and back in...
    Set/program the DRev for a gated rev, then EQ-nuke all the bottom and most of the mids (-12dB), leave top end at 0dB (no cut or boost). Then play with the loop level until it shimmers...

Used to do that on fronts for guitar solos in full time slider munky days... Loved old Alesis QVs...

frozenotter likes this.
  12. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Me too.

frozenotter likes this.
  13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

An expression pedal on your mix is always a good thing, as the room fills up i seem to need more delay mix in my settings... So its nice to be able to push the rocker down if things get too subtle.