How do you know when it's a Real Burst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by ddh101, Aug 1, 2014.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

yeah, something like that, but that's my fault, not theirs'.:)

2. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

Yeti, one of the few times we've wound up on the same side of an argument was in regard to scientific testing. I guess that scientific proof isn't as comforting to some buyers as a letter of authenticity with a rainbow signature.

3 people like this.
  3. single cut 54

single cut 54 V.I.P. Member

Werner, all of the now known fake guitars that have ever been sold as ''Real Bursts'' have be done so because the customer has trusted a less than honest ''dealer''/''expert''. Scientific/forensic evidence would be an excellent method of authenticating a vintage guitar, provided that the scientist was straight and that it wasn't invasive. I just feel that there are enough honest experts/dealers who can tell a fake from a real Burst so as not to warrant forensics. The scientific approach would make a fine alternative or ''second opinion'' but I feel it's not altogether essential if the ''right'' expert is consulted.

5 people like this.
  4. ddh101

ddh101 Senior Member

Guitar DNA? Irrefutable evidence of authenticity? Wouldn't that be something.

5. waboe

waboe Senior Member

you know if you get wood

6. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Why does everybody know my first name?:wtf::wtf::laugh2::laugh2:
    Every time an expert is brought in, the buyer thinks it's the "right" expert, no?

1 person likes this.
  7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I remember that. Never quite understood the grief you got from some in that thread. Oh well.

what I don't remember is being on opposite sides of an argument much but my memory is shit these days.

8. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that it was the two of us against every else, not that you and I always disagree.

9. single cut 54

single cut 54 V.I.P. Member

The right experts have 30 plus years ''provenance'' and experience, they are not just internet overnight sensations. You are correct though and choosing the right expert is vital.

2 people like this.
  10. southsilicon

southsilicon Member

Forensic lab techniques...specially paint, and wood...you can fake just about anything but it will show up at molecular level...

11. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

But would forensics be able to distinguish between a vintage guitar with a refin, versus a modern day replica made out of old growth woods?

Frank

2 people like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Frank an interesting thought re using Forensics.............you could take a tiny paint chip & run a GC Mass Spec. However, what if the Nitro formula had changed slightly over 1958 - 1960...............or Batch to Batch.

You would actually pick this up running a GCMS & then you'd be like.......well which one is real? :dunno:

You also need an extensive MS Library..............or fingerprints in simple terms.

Carbon dating is probably a waste of time because even Old Growth is not really that old & a Replica made with genuine Old Growth will come up the same way.

There are a number of non destructive techniques that could be used but I'd want have a few known Bursts to run a baseline prior to hit & miss on Guitars that may or may not be genuine.

Everything is doable in some way. Would be an interesting academic exercise that would prove once & for all that we are definitely crazy. :laugh2:

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  13. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

"What is this 'we' Kemosabe?" - Tonto

:D

2 people like this.
  14. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Depends how you define "forensics." I would define it to include microscopic analysis of areas like the pickup routs; individual cutter heads/router bits have a 'fingerprint' as individual as a mechanical typewriter's.

How insane do you want to get? It's possible, with the right equipment and sufficient money, to extract microscopic sandpaper residue and analyze its composition. They can also analyze solder metallurgically.

Of course, neither guitar you mention would probably have a market value high enough to justify that level of investigation.

15. BBFiftyNine

BBFiftyNine Banned

Maybe not but a seasoned expert would. The guys who sink big $$$,$$$ into these things know what they are doing I suspect.

16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Unfortunately not all the time. The last seasoned expert didn't, neither did GM with PS's fake Burst (assuming it was not a publicity stunt of some sort).

:cheers:

17. BBFiftyNine

BBFiftyNine Banned

12 years seasoned?

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Not my words but numerous "experts' on both Forums. :laugh2:

If the day comes that I buy a '54 - '60 Les Paul, I'll be more than happy to enlist Eric's help & get input from Frank, Bill & 2 - 3 Luthiers I know. :)

At least then I know I'll not be in a pool full of Sharks. :D

:cheers:

3 people like this.
  19. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Smart man. Make sure they are really guitars you can trust!

2 people like this.