How do older R0 necks compare to newer R0 necks?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by kingsxman, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

My buddies newer R0 (2013-15) has one of the best necks I've ever felt on a guitar. I believe his has the V2 version neck. How would an older R0 neck, say a 2006, compare to that neck? And how would an older R0 neck compare to a newer R9 neck?
    Also, I notice some R0's have regular ink stamped serial numbers and some have a gold ink thats used. Any significance to that?

Thinking about a cool older R0 and just trying to figure out if i'd like the neck. I'm currently playing a newer R9.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

They all vary to some degree. The general rule of thumb is R7's and 8's are the larger necks, followed by R9, and R0's are generally the thinner of the bunch. There are exceptions. If you are particular about necks, don't buy before you try. The only true way to tell is when it's in hand.

3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

These days Gibson is really (except for rare byrds) Making only V2 necks for R0's . It's a transition type neck(from a '59 shaped neck) .They differ in depth and shape to the R9 . Smaller then R9 necks . IN the Mid 2000's Gibson necks (in general) were a bit bigger (depth wise) But as all are hand finished the shape and sizes differ . In hand eval is the only way to truly know if it's good for you .
    R9 necks are ~ in the range of .890(small side) to .920 @ the first fret .

R0's are in the area of .800 - .830 @ the first fret . Shapes can be hugely different depending upon year made . pre-2011 or so the V3 neck type (thinnest) was the default neck shape which is thinner and wider and flatter .

The Ink stamp color is relevant to the stain color used on the neck and back . If it's a Dark back it needs a lighter colored ink so it can be seen ....That's it ....

4. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

Thanks. I ended up buying the guitar so we'll see how I like it. Got a good enough deal on it where hopefully i can get my $$ back if it turns out to be too small.

On the ink, thats what I thought also (darkback vs cherry) but here's a photo of the guitar I just bought. I dont "think" this is a dark back..but still has the goldish ink. Probably just a one off...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jamman likes this.
  5. freebyrd 69

Full frontal shots please.

6. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

Best I can do for now until I get it. First plain top I'll have owned since my first LP which was a 1982 standard. All my other historics have had flame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

freebyrd 69, Becker34 and jamman like this.
  7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks for the pics .... Nice looking Axe. Is it me or is the color weird on the back ? It appears on my monitor there are some very dark shades to the stain (body and HS) ... Maybe the angle of the back of the headstock ?
    Almost looks as if it had a Stinger or that the back was Faded or lighten up .
    Look inside the control (lip) cavity to see if it was re-painted .
    I'm not an expert on the stamps, but might it have been re-stamped ? Any signs of a repair on the neck joint ?
    Either way , It looks like a sweet Plain top

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Fixed Jeffrey. :p ;)

Cheers, Rudi

jamman likes this.
  9. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

The pics of the back of the headstock dont show any marks and there was no mention of a repair. So I'm assuming not. I just think its been played alot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Looks kosher to me.

Gibson had at least three different 'dark back' shades in the mid 2000s.

The darkest stain totally obscured the grain unless in direct sunlight. The second "medium" stain was a walnut color that fell in between the light back brown and the dark stain. Light backs got black ink. Your RO appears to have the medium colored walnut stain which, along with darkest stain, got the white/yellow serials.

I searched high and low for a R7 with that medium shade back to no avail.

HNGD! Enjoy it! She looks marvelous! :applause:

kingsxman likes this.
  11. freebyrd 69

Nice! Thank you for the pics!!!