How do I record several different instruments into separate tracks on Garageband?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Grad, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Grad

Grad Junior Member

I have a Macbook Pro and I want to be able to carry it to a friends' house and record some of our jam sessions. Is there a way to record several guitars, some vocals, and a harmonica all at the same time into Garageband? Can they go in as different tracks so I can adjust them later? If not...can I buy a cheap mixer and connect it to a USB interface like a Line 6 or M-Audio Fast Track which will feed the audio into Garageband?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. mattD

mattD Member

how you arm multiple tracks will depend on which version of GB you have. you can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously, to my knowledge. however, if you have a 4 channel usb interface then you will be limited to 4 armed tracks.

Here is GB '11
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhaHFY4rRU]YouTube - How to Multi Track in Garageband 11, iLife 11[/ame]

and the same guy showing older version of GB:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DUC_x_z5g]YouTube - How to record multiple tracks at a time using Garageband[/ame]

for what it's worth Lewin has a ton of good GarageBand tutorials. There is even a series on mixing.

3. BMS

BMS Senior Member

4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I agree and think gb is limited to 8ch. multitrack and the number of inputs on your interface....going beyond that will require logicpro which i am not ready to mess with yet

one trick: run your guitar into an a/b/y box and send the two feeds into your interface, say channel 1&2. Enable the multitrack recording and you can record two guitar tracks at a time...

5. Esspweb

Esspweb Junior Member

Thanks mattD. Thank you so much.

6. gehlmauer

gehlmauer Junior Member

we have an electronic drum set and we plan to record the drum parts through midi into logic via a midi interface. i would like to be able to record each drum pad into a separate track so that each drum part can be treated independantly, i.e. different compression or eq for the kick, snare etc.