How do I get a white Gibson more "Yellowish"?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by midtowner, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

IMHO, cig smoke is the really 'authentic" way..anything else looks fake.

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yellowing without playwear (not damage or relic-ing -- just wear) looks really fake, even ugly, IMO. I would just keep it out of its case, play it a lot, and be patient. I realize that most "yellow" fans disagree, so I'm on the outside of this one.

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

use 5 cigarettes , in 5 ashtrays . Mount guitar over the setup below it . Light cigarettes repeat as many times as needed until it "yellows" to desired color ....
    Repaint room you do this in when done , and carefully wipe down that very sticky guitar .... OR

Play it and enjoy it ....

jcsk8 and Kris Ford like this.
  4. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Honestly, probably the best way would be to put it in a case and tuck it under your bed and don't open it up. Nitrocellulose outgases nitric acid over time, and those gases build up and actually help yellow the finish (and corrode your metal).

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I'm not sure that a 2013 guitar will do that? I see that mostly on old guitars with celluloid nitrate pickguards that turn to dust and take the pickups/electronics with them.

You can have a pro shoot some amber tinted clear over it but it might look out of place unless you put some serious genuine play wear on it, also.

6. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Yeah, honestly I don't know, and won't know because I've pretty much stopped buying guitars with nitrocellulose finishes. I've got some old ones, back to the late '60's, that have been used, etc., but none of them are white, nor do they have parts on them that weren't already sort of cream colored (binding, etc.). I don't think there's anything definitive OTHER than to have someone shoot some amber-ish clear on the guitar. Even then, however, you won't have that white, unambered paint ("tan lines") under the pickup covers, etc.

cooljuk likes this.
  7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Sure you can! You can mask for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

Tanning bed................just sayin'

NHTom