How consistent have LP Classic neck profiles been over the years?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by kakerlak, Nov 20, 2018.

1. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Haven't had my hands on one in several years, but the ones I remember checking out in music stores back in the mid/late '90s (with the '1960' pickguards) all had extremely thin/flat necks. Has that stayed pretty much true of the entire run? They always seem like such good bang for the buck, with their vintage style tuners and ABR-1s, but I can't do that neck, if they're all like I remember them being.

2. vivanchenko

vivanchenko Senior Member

As far as I know they all have thin necks. The full name of the model is "60's Classic", so it got to have a 60's that is thin neck.

3. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Flat and thin then, flat and thin now.

4. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Flat and Thin... and I like it!

MP4-22 likes this.
  5. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

My Classic says 50s profile

6. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I would say they probably have been the most consistent over the years. Whereas 50s profiles vary from rounded and smallish to rounded and approaching R7/R8 size. The taper is always different too on the 50s necks. Some like my 2014 Trad do not vary greatly from nut to neck join and are thick the whole way, and some taper from small at the nut to fairly thick at the neck join.

Every Classic I have owned/picked up from Y2K onward have all felt pretty much the same. Thin and flat on the back and not a whole lot of taper. My 2018 Tribute feels exactly the same as my 2014 Classic (my most recent)

7. ESchmidt

ESchmidt Senior Member

I had two 2000 LP classics, just a few hundred serial numbers apart. One had a flat thin neck, the other was considerably thicker.

8. DylanLP

DylanLP Senior Member

I might be wrong but it makes sense for Gibson to introduce a les Paul model to compete with 80s super strats (charvel & kramers) which are known to have thin necks and hot pickups?

Today’s LP Classics are far from 90s specs so I’m not surprised if they come with a choice of 50s neck.

9. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Not consistent. Some are slimmer or flatter than others.