How are Edwards LPs so light?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by OBG57C, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

No veneer here:

[​IMG]

Or here:

[​IMG]

Matty likes this.
  2. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

ok i see what you are referring to. they must have done that with some guitars obviously. maybe the lower rungs of the models or painted versions of those models, who knows.
    i doubt you'd find that on a higher level eddy. i could be wrong though.

3. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

If Udonitron's was also super light and one piece and very clearly not veneer, then it points to the species of wood used. If it were a true mahogany just grown under conditions that give a lighter timber, why wouldn't everyone use that?

Most likely another species that isn't generally considered a 'true' mahogany. Definitely a great option for lighter LPs even if the sound is slightly different.

Udonitron likes this.
  4. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

that guitar has become somewhat of a local buzz. i sold it to a friend who guitar tech's at a local shop and gigs regularly. it's just got such a good feel to it, everyone who holds it freaks a little because it's so light. (And of course the fiesta red finish!)

Matty and Udonitron like this.
  5. Udonitron

*gasp*
    You SOLD it!?
    For shame....for freakin shame.

6. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

not at all. you sold it too so don't shame me. :laugh2:

it wasn't a money grab though, i let her go for $650 because I knew Doug really wanted it and i consider him to be a good friend. dude has jammed for 30 years, this is his first Les Paul, his chops and that ax make a great pair.

and everyone loves the finish. :thumb:

7. Udonitron

lol I was just buggin.
    Glad the new owner loves it!

8. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

9. tosh78

tosh78 Senior Member

Mine is quite heavy compared to my other guitars, a bit more than 9 lbs, and actually selling it locally because of that reason.

10. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

The weight difference is attributed to the difference in mahogany being that the lighter weight is different density in the wood. My Tokai LS-135 is over 9lbs. and my '14 LP Traditional is about 10 lbs. and my Edwards LP-92SD is a little over 8 lbs.

Even though I've never measured it (it would take 2 minutes so I'm pretty lazy) but my Edwards looks like the body is a little thinner than both the Tokai and Gibson.

11. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Do those Edwards specials have fat necks like the Navigators? I saw a Nav special a couple of months ago but the neck was described as 60s profile.

12. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

I used to have an Edwards Junior Special with P90s and the neck was so slim it felt like a toothpick. I don't mind a 60s slim neck but this was way beyond that, and just too thin. Because of the neck, I never really bonded with the guitar so I sold it, which is a shame because it was very well made.

El Greco likes this.
  13. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Yeah, I found a few people saying the same thing about skinny necks. I guess it is off the list for me. I am curious about the Tokai LSS specials. They have so many model numbers and it is hard to see any difference between them.

14. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

15. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

I have an Edwards SG and I have the same problem! The neck feels very slim way beyond the 60's slim! So I measured the nut and found out it was at 42mm instead of the usual 43mm on most SGs and LPs! Mystery solved, problem not solved!

16. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

17. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I think you are referring to width. Most people here are talking about depth when they refer to thickness. Depth measurements usually taken at the first fret and can vary from 16mm to 24mm. Typical would be around 19-22mm. Profile is another thing as well.

18. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Thanks! Yes I know, we are talking about depth here, but a 60's slim neck with a 42mm width, feels a lot skinier to my big hand, than a 60's slim with 43mm width! I didn't realize it is the width that feels slimmer, I thought the neck was super slim! Until I took some measurements..

19. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I would buy an Edwards if they had fat necks. In fact, I don't understand why guitar companies don't offer neck profiles in set neck models. It seems like with all the competition and technology, it should be easy to go online and order your LP with d-shaped fat neck with minimum / max acceptable depth range etc. No wonder so many people just make partscasters.