How are Edwards LPs so light?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by OBG57C, Apr 5, 2017.

1. OBG57C

OBG57C Junior Member

Forgive me if this comes up a lot, but what is the current consensus on Edwards LP's construction methods? Chambered or no? I consistently see these weighing between 7.5 to 8.5 lbs and it's not uncommon to see them closing in on 7 lbs. A 7 lb. Les Paul!?
    Is there such thing as an LP that's too light? :hmm:

2. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

An LP would only be too light if it started to neck dive.

We've discussed a few times over the years how Edwards are so light and I don't think we've ever reached a consensus.

I believe one theory is the particular source of mahogany they use?

3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Mine was advertised by the seller as being 9.4 and I have no reason to not believe that.
    I cannot remember what my early 70's Custom weighed. The Ibanez "lawsuit" burst
    I got at the same time weighed about 3lbs, lol

4. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

I am no expert but based on info I believe I received in this forum it may have something to do with locally sourced (local to the manufacturing area) "asian" mohagany, called luan or something like that. I didn't google or memory refresh, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

What I want to know is, does the sister species of mahogany make it a little less bassy / more mids, or am I opening the can of worms?

I would love to have at least one sub 8lb LP for when I play live, and I've had my eye on the Edwards for quite some time now. Especially that goldtop version with the amber back and SD pickup outfit.

5. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

I've picked up a few Edwards, but they ended up being too heavy for me. That said, I've still got my Gibson LP Studio....weighs 71/4 lbs. Never picked up one so light before. So right when I was gonna trade it in for another guitar several years back, my wife elbowed me and told me not ot be an idiot.

So I took it home and refinished it to look more like a standard LP.

Once in a lifetime guitar, that I will say. Nothing against Edwards guitars. I've been keeping an eye out for one.

6. Justinreagin

Justinreagin Senior Member

It's organic Balsa tone woods! :)

7. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

this is what I always hear.

8. unchained1984

unchained1984 Junior Member

Not always the case, one of my earlier Edwards is the heaviest Les Paul I've ever played , heavier than my Gibby Zakk, as stated earlier though it's usually down to the Asian variety of mahogany v's African. Edwards standards are outstanding value for money

9. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I think you guys are right about the wood source. Most of the Edwards Page relics are 7.5 -8lbs typically.

10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

They're not weight relived?

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

no, not swiss cheesed or weight relieved

12. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

my edwards black custom is considerably lighter than my gibson r0, and believe me, i like that about it. :)

i don't have access to an x ray machine, but i highly doubt they are chambered, otherwise that would have been widely known by now. the '56 gold top copy i had was a little heavier than the custom, but still far less so than the gibson.

13. korus

korus Senior Member

The speculation on weight relief is always the first choice, but I do not think that is the case with Edwards LPs. I guess you might find this thread interesting :
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324985&highlight=Edwards+refinish+veneer

[​IMG]

The fact that top is veneer is no big deal as it is disclosed by ESP in specifications for Edwards LP, and it has been used for decades by various manufacturers. The problem with this is if the whole body is actually 'boxed'/'cased' in veneer, without disclosing the fact. If the veneer looks 'right' eg like mahogany, you can use whichever lighter wood for core of the body back and reduce the weight like no one can. But it is a fraud as the fact about it is not disclosed to customers.

I did sell mine 2009 Edwards as it sounded strange to me, or should I say 'boxy'. At the time I did not know the reason why I can not make it sound like Orville or Tokai or Burny or Greco, even with all the other parts being proper ones.

Surely, there are people who hear nothing wrong with them. Maybe ESP have been using it for some time, started at some point (probably when wood production has been mved to China) and stopped at some point - as the tonal result was not good enough - so I do not know if the current ones are made this way. Whichever the case might be with Edwards LPs, whenever I see color of Les Paul back that is so dark the grain is not clearly visible, it reminds me of this 'constructional invention'.

sgberry likes this.
  14. unchained1984

unchained1984 Junior Member

Interesting thread, my earlier Edwards came in on the back of the 2011 sunami, (it's a non serial pre 2001) which at the time had significant damage on rear shoulder which ran to a good 1/4" in depth, grain though was mahogany right through and matched the grain in the cavity routes, anyone with concerns should simply take a scraping in either the control cavity or switch cavity to check for grain variation. Certainly the two Edwards standards I still own in terms of build are almost as good as the Fujigen Orville JS and Gibby Zakk in the stable. As a measure of how highly I personally rate the Edwards Standards I once sold an early 87 Terada Orville by Gibson custom preferring to keep the early Edwards as it just felt better, if you don't mind the the inlays not having any real visual impact you can source a killer guitar with good hardware for not a lot. I'd give a shout out to meestursparke if you're looking to source in Japan. Other than sticking a couple of pio's in them they are already well kitted out.

15. kherman

kherman Senior Member

I was always under the impression that ESP uses plantation grown timbres.
    These trees grow faster, have less density, thus are lighter in weight compared to the same tree in the wild.

16. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

A couple of years ago, I got a stripped Edwards LP Standard from YJ for cheap, as a project guitar! It was already sanded to the wood before I got it and it had a one piece back and a three piece top! I don't know if it had a flame maple veneer before or it was a solid colour LP, when I got it had a three piece maple top! The neck was one piece and it had that brown colour of mahogany we all know, but the body although it was one piece it had a lighter colour and looked different than the neck wood! I couldn't tell if it was different species of wood or different type of mahogany but I can tell with certainty that it was a one piece body with no veneer! I'll see if I can find some pictures!

17. Lesterdelphia

Lesterdelphia Member

My Edwards LP 130 ALS weighs 7.7 lbs. It does have more of an airy, less bass heavy tone than most Gibson Les Pauls but a good part of that could also be attributed to the stock Duncan Seth Lover pu's. There have been a lot of theories about the lighter weight of many Edwards LP copies as you can see. IMO, the most realistic is that the guitars are made from a plantation grown Asian species of mahogany that is just less dense.

18. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i don't see any evidence of this in your image. i'm sure if ESP did this Udonitron would have discovered it when he refinished the cheap eddy LP that was all of 7.3 lbs. he's kind of a snob about wood and whatnot, takes great pride in discovering such matters.

19. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I had a LTS-130 from the first year they debuted. Replaced the lightweight tailpiece with a heavy Tone Pros, replaced the Antiquities with WCR Moore/Green and the tone was absolutely the same. Airy and light on the low end and volume. Had the WCRs in a Tokai and I could have played Stoner/Doom with that guitar there was so much output and low end.

20. korus

korus Senior Member

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6720709&postcount=1
    I see a veneer clearly, but if you do not see a veneer on the back in this post it's no big deal. Some people will see veneer, some people won't. I've simply shared my experience with Edwards LP-92 from 2009 before I've seen these pictures. These only explained to me what I already 'knew' from a first hand experience.

However, there are very similar/comparable models of Edwards MIJ and Tokai MIJ, rather close in specs and price. A customer in Japan can go test them A/B in a shop, and chose either of the 2. However, if he decides to check auctions and second hand prices of both of these guitars, he will ask himself a logical question - why is second hand Tokai so obviously more expensive than second hand Edwards? Remember, he can go test them A/B in the same shop, so he does not have to believe Tokai is better because it has longer LP making history and is greater name in guitar making in Japan.

edit: a previous post, one before this one, says the same using different words. Edwards (ESP) simply pushed it too far. Some will like it, some will not. And maybe current production does not have veneer on the back, as I've already written in my post you quoted.