Hotel California Brief Tutorial

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by tenchijin2, Dec 18, 2014.

1. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Senior Member

I've never tried one of these tutorials before. It's rough around the edges, and rather impromptu. I made it at the request of an individual on another forum but figured it might be helpful to others as well. So here it is:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    3 people like this.
  2. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Senior Member

I realize almost every guitarist knows this solo. I'd be curious what some of you play for that first harmonized run down over the G to D chords. I never really worked out the lower part, just the high part.

Any comments welcome here or on Youtube. As long as they're nice :)

3. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

Good job! :thumb:

Here's the man himself doing a tutorial, intro has a cool little story to why it's played in B minor.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcL4MkpJQ4[/ame]

3 people like this.
  4. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Senior Member

I remember seeing Felder's tutorial some months ago, and I noticed he doesn't actually play it exactly the same as on the record (different keys notwithstanding). In fact it's different in many places- timing, phrasing, and so on.

I had heard him tell the story of its original key vs. the final recorded key in various interviews when his book came out awhile back.

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

That's how I play it, in Am. Because it's hard to find a band with someone who can sing it as high as Don Henley.

Another benefit of playing it in Am is that you can play the last fill of the second chorus bending up the from 22nd fret of the high e-string instead of the 24th fret, which does not exist on a Les Paul :)

6. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

I'd say Henley's moved it down by now.

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I still don't know the solo :laugh2:

But the descending chords, forever I just figured I can't do it, UNTIL someone said it was just an arpeggio starting at Bm and sliding down. Then the light bulb came on.

1 person likes this.
  8. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Sat thru the Eagles doc last night with m'gal.

There's a live chunk where Felder and Walsh are essentially "paraphrasing" what they played on the record. It's BRILLIANT stuff.

EDIT:

Here tis: Starts 4:19:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4JbbcfmX8[/ame]

9. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Senior Member

Somehow this basic tutorial is like #3 or 4 in the google search index for "hotel california guitar solo tutorial" and other similar searches. Almost 11,000 views. What a strange thing, I had no idea anyone would even watch it. LOL.
    It sat for almost 3 years with only a few hundred views and then exploded recently.