\horrific Buzz even after full rewire

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by MrKensei, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

Hi
    I recently rewired a Vintage VS6 SG for a friend because he'd killed the pots fitting new pickups and the thing used to buzz like hell when not touching the strings.

I scratch built a full LP 50's style harness with orange drop caps, Alpha pots, a jack taken from my Epi Zakk wylde and an epi toggle switch. I shielded the cavity, used shielded 2 conductor wire throughout and fitted an eath loop made from 22 gauge silver plated copper Buss wire.

It plays great the tone is vastly improved, but it still buzzes like made, and if you go anywhere near the amp it gets horrible feedback.

I know all of the components are good and I have checked every connection over and over again, I even resoldered everything.

The only thing I didn't do was modify the pickup leads, he'd put in Ibanez INF 3 and 4 pups (god knows why).

Any clues? It's making me look like I don't know what I'm doing.

Of course the buzz goes away when you touch the strings and all the electric work like they should apart from that damn buzz.

Any help would be appreciated.

[EDIT] I should add: I know the wiring in my house sucks, there are numerous ground issues and even with a decent noise gate I still get some hum when on high gain. But with my guitars (all of which have custom home made wiring)this problem is barely noticeable.
    All of the pots I used had been used before, the volume pots were straight off of my Mockingbird, however I can't say much about the tone pots, they may not be the best(I used whatever I had to hand and it was a freebie).

2. Papa

Papa Senior Member

Kensei,

Hard to diagnose electrical problems over the net but, give this a shot.

First, does the front ground wire go to the bridge or the tailpiece?
    Are you positive it is properly connected to a bushing of either?

Try connecting a wire, about a foot long, to the nut on the input jack.
    Touch the other end to the bridge, tailpiece, strings and anything else you want to test.
    Does the buzzing go away?
    ...Or you can simply test for continuity with a multi-meter if you have one.

You don't have the ground line connected to a bridge bushing with non conductive (string saver) saddles do you?

Just a few thoughts.
    Good luck,
    Papa

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep, I'd be double checking all the grounds too. Also you can induce some noise in the system if you have all the pot grounds connected in a circle. You only need them connected in a 'U' shape.