Honorable Mention: Peavey T-60.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by rednefceleb, Dec 16, 2017.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

I just wanted to put the nice sounding player Peavey T-60 out there today. Besides buying a nice MIJ LP, I am absolutely going to invest in one of these solid machines. Having a dual humbucker unit that's as tuff as a Tele and also is double cut, is one of my goals. They come in decent finishes, play straight, don't need modding, and you can practically & safely drop them off a cliff only to find them in the rubble below, almost 100% in tune. Peavey "Classic series" amps aren't too bad either.

endial and frankv like this.

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I've seen at least 4-6 of those T-60's in pawnshops in the last 2-3 yrs. for about $200-$ 275

They might be nice guitars, but because they're SO F'n heavy, I just couldn't bring myself to snag one of them.

rednefceleb likes this.

3. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

I've owned them, and after the first gig, I get rid of it! I like heavy, but these things are STUPID heavy!!!

rednefceleb likes this.

4. rednefceleb

Wow. I totally could see that. H. Peavey does go a little overboard on being heavy duty. Like those 5150 amp heads with more 12ax7's in the pre than I have ever heard of. I'm pretty sure that Eddie V.H. was lying in an interview where he said that: "they let a 5150 combo feedback for an entire month and it didn't blow up!" Yeah, I've never picked up
    Nice collection. Prolific.

5. rednefceleb

I was saying that I have never "lifted" a Peavey T-60. Good body builder guitars I guess.

6. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Speaking of Peavey classic amps, I sold one in the early 90s to buy a Fender Blues Deville. Worst gear mistake I ever made.

rednefceleb and hbucker like this.

7. rednefceleb

Yeah, I sold a Classic 50 2x12. BIG mistake.

danohat likes this.

8. JDZ

JDZ Senior Member

My first electric guitar was a T60. I really liked it, but yes very heavy, solid ash body if I remember. Neck was very easy to play. I had it all through high school, but then was stolen.

My parents took me to get a new guitar and there were these new Fender Strats from Japan that looked really nice. Got a black '85 HSS contemporary Strat which I still have.

rednefceleb likes this.

9. MSB

MSB Senior Member

Those T series are amazing guitars, but heavy as H$ll and the ones I've had had super skinny necks.

rednefceleb likes this.

10. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Note about the WEIGHT factor:

Watch for guitars in solid color finishes. The natural finish ones are Northern Ash and heavy as feck. Some of the solid color ones, however, are poplar instead. And not heavy at all.

Mine is 8.5 pounds. No shit.

[​IMG]

jojo and MSB like this.

11. Parabar

Parabar Member

I've had my Peavey T-60 since 1980, and it is one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played.

But ja, ist true -- ist nicht for der girlymen! You must be properly pomped opp to play der T-60!
    [​IMG]

12. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

I have been looking for one of these guitars for a long time. I almost traded my Tele for one, but the guy backed out on me. If I got one, tho, I'd love to have the super heavy ash ones. I like a heavy guitar body. The prices on these are a lot more expensive than I thought they would be too.

rednefceleb likes this.

13. rednefceleb

I hear that they are all fairly heavy guitars. Between E-Bay and Reverb I think that you might find one for pretty cheap. Since I started this thread I'll take a look around for one and reply back to you.

14. rednefceleb

Reverb has one for $360 and 2 for $400. E-bay has a couple for $400. Some that are colors, are up to $750.00. Actually the super heavy ash models are usually the cheapest. Try to keep your Tele too, if you can. It has such a different sound from a dual h'bucker guitar that you would be better off. Teles are so handy when you really want to use "The Twang Factor". A Tele will cut through any thick mix!

15. misterhatter6

Man, thank u, but I'm broke as it stands at the moment, but my Tele is long gone. I traded it for a prototype LTD from the 80s that someone had sanded down...it was just an Affinity Tele tho, and I had no money put into it (I got it for a copy of Mortal Kombat 9) I wouldn't be opposed to trading that LTD and hs case off tho.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    rednefceleb likes this.

16. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

They sound of god, look like the dude puking the in the alley.

rednefceleb likes this.

17. misterhatter6

It makes me curious tho, are the entire Peavey T series that heavy? I've only had experience with the T-60 but there's the T-40 (bass), the T-15 (short scale with the nice pickups), and the T-25 (not sure what makes it special), but they all are really nice guitars. I want one.

18. Parabar

Parabar Member

The T-60 has coil-splitters wired into the tone controls, so you can run it with either humbuckers or single coils (or one of each). It can do most of what a Tele can do, and a lot more.

rednefceleb likes this.

19. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I had one for a few months last year. The weight didn't bother me, but it was uncomfortable for me to play for the same reason that Strats are. The pups sounded OK, but were too scooped for my style. I ended up trading it for a 2005 Epi LP Custom that was the best playing guitar that I've ever owned. It was a huge improvement over the Peavey in both playability and tone.

rednefceleb likes this.

20. rednefceleb

At least you are honest. Worth more than any guitar.