Hondo II Les Paul copy

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by DPaulCustom, Jun 14, 2011.

1. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

Wondering if anyone on the Forum has any thoughts about the Hondo II copies.:)

2. DDcat

DDcat Senior Member

Hondo was the butt of many jokes when I started playing guitar in the late 70s. Their guitars run the gamut from insanely crappy to not half shabby on the upper end. Some, like the professional series, where made in Japan I believe and have set necks. Hondo is a brand that would have to be approached on an example basis so a picture of the model would help people to help you determine if it's a clunker or not. From the mid-level on up most examples can be set up to play pretty decently so if its cheap enough it might be worth investigating further.

3. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I have had Hondos and Memphis Lp's and loved them both very much when I was younger. But as said above they are on a piece by piece basis. How much is the one you are looking at.

4. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

5. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Dude I learned how to play on a Hondo just like the first one. Beware not all of them have solid caps as in a few wood braces under them to support the very thin laminate. Tap the hell out of the top before you buy. Just saying. I think there was a polish a turd thread where a guy encountered this with a similar guitar. Also find out the weight of the guitar as well that would probably be a good indicator. But they are fun as hell. The price seems a little steep though for a Hondo

6. rayspang

rayspang Senior Member

Some Hondo II's came stock with Dimarzio pickups. They can be made into good players after replacing the cheap original hardware.

7. 12watt

12watt Senior Member

Be warned, some of those low end "humbuckers" might be single coils under the big cover, I've seen it before. You can get some cool sounds out of them but if you really want a LP type guitar rather than just a LP looking guitar they will disappoint.

8. beasag

beasag Junior Member

Just joined!

Purchased one in the 70's and stored it after LP custom purchase. Dragged it out tonight after 15-20 years, re-tuned the same strings, removed some dust and WOW, it still knocks the hell out of many guitars and sounds great, same action, neck movement nil. (cherry with dimarzios).

Do guitar strings last this long?

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

no!

10. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy Junior Member

this is my imput.......i'm sitting here looking at a hondo ii with dimarzs in the bridge and neck. its plugged into my music man 112RD100 amp. that guitar will run with anything. i have been reading about guitars, tone, sustain, WOODY tone, etc. for years and experimented with everything both owned, tested at shops, and friends gear. this guitar is now my number 1. plywood, bad term, body with maple top. that so called cheap cavity under the top is a tone maker. play this guitar unplugged and it sings like an acoustic. go ahead and tap it with your knuckle....that my friends is what WOOD should sound like. 5 ply banding top AND bottom all the way to top of headstock!!!! NICE....and it is real vintage worn, not this roadworn Bullsh&t. love the vibrations through the guitar into my hands.....maybe i have a lucky dog one.....paid 120- at a flea market. got home opened it up 1st thing and there were the dimarzs pups. all i have done is put new bone nut on, fret dress and tweaked the usual setup stuff. i'm now building a hondo ii frampton 3 pup clone. will post pixs. sorry for long post but had to defend this beautiful guitar.

11. RalphieBoy

RalphieBoy Junior Member

and mine at least has lasted almost 40 years........wiring was still good. just had to perform the Heimlich maneuver on the neck to get the truss rod to unfreeze. thats where you lay it down with the head on your knee and push the middle while turning the truss rod screw. got to come up with a better term than plywood.......hymmm