Home of the River Bottom Blues Band

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by River, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Si#1

Si#1 Junior Member

Hey how are you? It's greetings from Australia here. We're dirt poor and rocken as well - I llike the shack.... Look, at the top of this post where you've got the chick on the tele above an array of other fine guitars.. it's that blondy - natural grain custom with the white scratch plate and switch, behind all the others... I've got that same guitar, black instead of white. I'd love to know what you know about it. Going by the serial number mine was made at Kallamazoo in 1974. Restoring it now because about to move with a new show. Any advice you might have would be... indeed... rocken.
    All best
    Si.
    email - chief@whitefeatherband.com

2. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

3. River

River Senior Member

Mine's a '92 Standard - all original but the pickups. Thinking about a B5 Bigsby with Vibramate in the near future.

I'm back from a little time off and have some listening and mixing to catch up on. All hail the three-day weekend!

4. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

I've been craving a Bigsby as well, but I'm just not sure if I want to mount it to the R7. Have fun with that mixing, Riv!

5. River

River Senior Member

Do it - I did, and I'm tellin' ya it brought the R8 to life! You know me, so I acknowledge that's mostly (maybe completely) about eye candy. But candy's candy.

[​IMG]

If you're really thinking seriously about it, we might be able to work out a little "insurance" arrangement. :hmm:

6. WhippingPost

Oh, I didn't know you Bisby-ed the R8! Looks fantastic, River. I've been considering it for a while. I'll certainly be going the same route you've taken there with the plate mounting. How does it fit in the case now?

7. River

River Senior Member

Just did it Thursday last. No problemo.

8. L60N

L60N Senior Member

I made another attempt with some blues recording with a tip of the hat to a couple of artists. :D

Had a couple of issues with the latency again which is a bit on and off but today it was off. :D

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get some drums recorded onto a track in audacity?

Can you tell me what you think? :thumb:

SoundClick artist: L60N - page with MP3 music downloads

9. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

I can't listen till I get home, but you can open up an mp3 file of pre recorded drums in Audacity. Quite a few are available for free on the net. Then I start to record (which automatically opens up a new parallel track) which plays the drums in the background and allows me to record my guitar parts and bass, on top of the drums.

That answer your question or do you mean how do you record your own live drums?

10. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Thanks Geochemist, that answered my question perfectly! :thumb:

Is there a loop feature in audactiy to be able to extend the drum track?

Thanks! :dude:

11. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

There is a 'snap to' function (helps greatly for getting the timing right) that can be set, so I copy out the sections I want to use for extentions and either splice them in or add on as needed, saved to a completely new track to preserve the originals to be used again.

12. River

River Senior Member

That sounds great, L60N. :applause:

I've never successfully added drums to one of my free-form guitar recordings. My timing without drums, or at least bass, is shitty. It'd take one heck of a drummer to cover for me. Leumas and Blues24 can do it on guitar and bass, and maybe snaredrum could do it with drums, but it's a lot of work.

13. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Wow, great? :shock: :D :dude: Thanks a LOT man!! :thumb:

I hear you on playing without drums.. I played the rhythm track over a metronome, then used the rhythm track for solo timing but it doesnt help when latency sticks its oar in.. :laugh2:

Must get a pod someday...

14. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Thanks for the advice Geochemist, I need to have a good fiddle around with Audacity..

Looking forward to sussing it out. I guess once everything is set up nicely you can concentrate on the important stuff, like tweeking tone and relaxing into it.

15. River

River Senior Member

Yeah, I really like it. You're in the groove, and the chimey cleans really suit (and aren't covering for you at all, so well done).

What gear/settings did you use? That one's screaming out for vocals, I think.

16. WhippingPost

Very nice! I love the nod to "All Your Love." I really need to get my band to start working on a cover of that one. I really like it. :)

For drums, Geo's way is probably the easiest. Next would be a drum program, export the drums to an MP3 or WAV, and then import them into Audacity.

17. L60N

L60N Senior Member

MIM Tele -> Boss ME70 -> Vox AD30 -> PC

The Pedal I put in for a touch of delay but cant remember if it was on because I spent so much time faffing around with soundcard settings, trying to get sound output into Audacity that when it finally happened I got stuck straight into recording something. :laugh2:

18. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Oh yeah baby! I have MLP to thank for introducing me to such albums as John Mayalls Bluesbreakers. :dude:

Today I went out and bought a Howlin Wolf and a Muddy Waters CD. So far im loving Howlin Wolf and cant get enough of it!!! Did Captain beefheart get some ideas from him or what!? :wow:

I also tried a couple of double stops which I heard on a Michael Burks track. The Rhythm is taken from what I hear on BB king's Thrill is gone. :D

19. River

River Senior Member

Some of us think Howlin' Wolf was probably the most influential of them all. Did quite well for himself too.

What were your guitar and amp EQ/drive settings for "Blues Am"?

20. L60N

L60N Senior Member

Amp set on Vox AC30 model:

(0 = off and 1 = full)

gain at 0.3
    volume 0.8
    treble 0.5
    middle 0.5
    Bass 0.3

The guitar tone and vol both rolled off to around 0.7ish.

Ive heard Howlin Wolf mentioned a lot here so I took the plunge and bought a collection disc. So far im blown away!!