HNTD Finally Bandsawed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Nov 3, 2017.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Been saving shekels for some time, and investigating what will meet my needs for a bandsaw. It has to be pretty small, yet resaw at least 175mm. This has been on my radar, checking reviews, upgrades, options. 10” wheels, 180mm max height, reasonable depth, Made in Taiwan quality, and the company has been around long enough to believe they’ll be around a while longer.

It comes with solid guides, but a fellow online is selling a roller bearing set for $70 ... a lot easier than trying to cobble it myself.

Attached Files:

jkes01 and mux164 like this.
  2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Congrats, that's on the list that i want, but I'm hesitant when I can just use stuff at the men's shed,

Sent you a pm

3. charisjapan

Ha! The closest (and only one I know of) men's shed is Barnaby's shop in West Tokyo ... so close, yet so far, by train or by car. ("Sink me ... I'm a poet, and you did not even know'it")

;)

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

No more rhymes this time and I mean it.

5. charisjapan

Anyone want a peanut?

:applause:

SlingBlader and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  6. charisjapan

Hurt my back, so it was sitting in the box for two days ... waiting to unpack it was almost as excruciating as trying to get it out of the box!

While I'm at it, I have a confession ... I've never used a bandsaw before :oops: Pretty excited to see how it will change my life! ;)

It weighs about 65 pounds, and is about 36" tall. I would say that while it's definitely hobby-sized, the quality of the tool is better than some of the much more expensive brand-name bandsaws. Not to be un-PC, but Taiwan does a better job (IMHO) than most things MIC. It comes with a "factory test blade" that actually seems pretty nice, but the seller suggested their house-brand Made in Japan shark blades, so I got a 5mm 4tpi and a 13mm 3tpi "Super Hardened" for now. In addition to those, there are 3mm 14tpi, 6mm 4tpi, 10mm 3tpi, and another company makes an 8mm 12tpi for plastics and aluminum. Any suggestions which of these might be best for luthier work?

The same company that makes the aluminum blade also makes a ball-bearing upgrade kit. With shipping and COD, about $60 (less than I thought). I went ahead and ordered that, as it has a lot of good reviews for smoother and quieter operation.

Now I really have to clean my shop before I can set this thing up and play with it. :(

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 and joseph07081 like this.
  7. charisjapan

This arrived today! Installed in a few minutes after I figured out the quick tension release. (might have been even quicker if I'd just read the instruction manual ... but I have an aversion to such un-manly things :)) The ball bearings steal about 3mm from maximum resaw capability, but still have a full 7" (178mm).

Have not plugged it in ... no space in the shop. :( I gotta clean up, but it's hard to stop working on the Limba 6 build ... getting close.

[​IMG]

jkes01 likes this.
  8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

FWIW, I couldnt do a build the way I like without a band saw. You're going to love having it :)

A word about resawing. If you want to resaw any hardwood thats going to need a fairly tall cut, like 6 or 7", a really good blade is essential. Something with a low TPI (like 3), carbide teeth, and the widest blade your saw can fit. This is even more important IMO when you have a lower HP saw and a tall cut, using anything with a lot of teeth per inch and that are not like razors, you'll have to put a fair amount of pressure to push it through. That'll make the blade wander and you wont get a real flat cut.

Your 13mm 3 TPI is the best of your picks for resawing. If your saw will fit a wider blade I'd get it. the wider the better.

My saw came with what seemed a decent enough blade, but it was shit for tall cuts like that. I bought a resaw king and it was night and day.

charisjapan likes this.
  9. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Congrats on the bandsaw. I have a 9” bench top and a 12” freestanding, both Craftsman. Love them.

Please take special care when using it, just because it is smaller, does not in any way mean it is safer. :)

Mind telling us where to get the roller guides?

10. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Excellent tool for the shop! :applause:Thought it was a new trumpet day for a second.

11. charisjapan

The Japanese company that makes the blades only makes up to 13mm, a regular one and the SH (Super Hard) one I got. Seems that one has good reviews even with Kaede (Japanese Hard Maple) ... hoping so, as I just happen to have a chunk of Kaede. It’s not near as flamed as North American maple, but has a nice iridescence with a grey-green tint.

The bandsaw is rated up to 20mm, so hoping someone will make it available. I knew this was a slightly upscale hobby machine from the beginning, but maybe with good setup, fresh blades, and some practice I can resale a few boards and cut out bodies. (was really getting tired of using a jigsaw for bodies and handsaw for resawing!)

12. Skyjerk

I know some companies will make them to order at custom lengths.

What is the length of your blades in inches?

When people talk mm to me I have to go find a conversion table. Millimeters are incomprehensible :)

13. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

1" = 25.4mm
    1mm = 0.039370078 inches and that is off the top of my head! 1 mile = 1.609 km 1 US Gal = 3.8 litres, and gas right now in my town is Can$1.20 /l or Can$4.56 / gal or US$3.57 /gal

I have seen bandsaws with thin blades and higher tpi #s resaw boards quite well. I've never been able to do that though. I bought the same blade Chris has and with high tension it cuts very very nicely. You need a strong saw though to push that blade. Mine is a 3HP laguna with 14" resaw capability. Good lucj. I hope it works out for you.

Cheers Peter.

14. charisjapan

Hey Chris,

1,841mm is 72.480315” so I imagine 72-1/2” would do the job.

I was born in the States, childhood hobbies were all Imperial, from 11 years old until 25 in Japan using Metric, went back for five years and learned carpentry in Imperial, then back here contracting with my father in law using the old Japanese measurement for fine carpentry (similar to Imperial, but decimal), Imperial for framing using imported North American lumber, and Metric for architecture, plumbing and mechanicals! Talk about confusion. I always have two tape measures, one that is Imperial/Metric, another Metric/Japanese, and my mind has to switch from decimal to fraction all the time. Add to that the “skosh” and “jaku” (a little more, a little less) and “heavy/light/a tad/a bit” and whatever non-precise measurements.

When you come to Japan, I’ll brainwash you! ;)

:D

15. charisjapan

Thanks! Nice to have a freestanding ... no room for me!

Oh, yeah! I have a special relationship with power tools after chopping the last joint off my fret finger. I won't even turn this thing on until working out the motions and remembering where the switch is.

Well, Japan! Miyai Factory in Osaka https://miyai-factory.com/ They are a lost breed ... small manufacturing company that finds niche markets and fills the need without sending off to China for a cheap piece of junk and just acting as a go-between for a fast buck. Because they also do O.E.M. work as well as small-lot work, I might be able to convince them to do some one-off saw blades, or do a small run for the company that sells the REXON bandsaws.

16. charisjapan

First cut with the factory "test" blade ... the fence was loose. Yucchh!

Second cut using the same blade, same keyaki wood (Japanese Zelkova, a hard elm-like wood) ... much better!

Third cut same blade (pretty dull) on Padauk, then sanded a bit ... Yowzer!!

All this in just a few minutes of shop time ... I am definitely HAPPY about the bandsaw, and looking forward to see what the real blade will do. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mux164 likes this.
  17. charisjapan

After running a few chores and getting some work done on the broken A.C., I had a few minutes to change to the 13mm SH blade, then spent some time setting up the rollers a bit more precisely and making sure the table/blade and table/fence were properly 90 degrees. As you can see the fence is pretty wimpy, but with a little clamp at the end, solid enough.

I had a nice piece of quarter sawn Wenge that was 17.5mm thick, about the size of a standard bass fretboard. so that was my first "serious" resaw. Yikes!! Took less than a minute, and came out pretty straight and even thickness. I'm reasonably certain Wenge is hard stuff to resaw, as I resawed by hand the Limba 6 fretboard and took forever. I now have two 7mm fretboards, and one of them is ready to prep for use after a few minutes on the belt sander.

Next trial will be something wider, then a body cutout .... ear-to-ear grins!! :)

But yeah, WoW! This is a seriously vicious tool ... lots of respect. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Skyjerk likes this.
  18. Skyjerk

I knew you'd like it. Not just resawing, but cutting bodies out with the thinner blades

Certainly these tasks can be accomplished with hand saws, but the sure take a LOT more time and muscle :)