Historic pickup ring replacment options that wont break the bank

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by kingsxman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

Just curious as to what are the options out there for some replacment pickup rings that wont break the bank. I just pulled a set of Wizz pickups out of my les paul to test some other pickups and thought it would be nice to have a few other sets of decent pickup rings around that I could just keep with these pickups to save myself some time when swapping pickups in the various les pauls I seem to aquire. Im not super fussy that they have to be exact (i.e. throbak) but woud like them to be at least close.

Whats out there that people recommend?

2. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I'm not sure about what you're price point s but creamtone does sell the wizz rings if you like them. I think they are like $70 maybe if I remember right? Cheaper than DMC, Throbak, Montreaux Time Machine (those are who I use for a lot of my parts)

kingsxman likes this.

3. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Wizz, Throbak, Bartlett are all great but the cost increases significantly. I've had all three and prefer Throbak

4. tigger

tigger Senior Member

I also need a black bridge one for an SG and it's tough to source something that looks good and doesn't cost $150 for a pair that I only need one of.

5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

CreamTone Gibson Historic they make up.

deadlyweasel likes this.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Wizz are excellent, especially if you need a black set.
    Don't waste big money on corksniffer BS.
    It's a ring, it holds a pickup.

7. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

So the Wizz are pretty "bone" colored. Are the Throbaks the same? I definitely noticed a difference in color between the stock pickguard on my 2006 and the wizz pickup rings. I found another set of "something" laying around and am using those now with some Antiquites. They dont quite match the stock pickguard either. Now in this case they are more "cream" than the stock pickguard.

BTW, in this guiar...I am preferring the Antiquties over the Wizz. Well..prefer Antiquity in bridge and wizz in neck. Antiquity neck is a bit muddy. May have to try the Sheptones.

I was going to look at that Creamtone set of rings and pickguard for $79 but they are sold out. Wizz are $99 on the creamtone site. Yikes.

8. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

If you're not too anal, Crazy Parts Art of Aging rings are nice. I've used their Ivory rings in the past... they're a nice light cream color.

kingsxman likes this.

9. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

Blue Blood likes this.

10. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

THx. I actaully saw those earlier. His definition of "aged" is definitely different than my version of aged.

Hogie34 likes this.

11. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

These were interesting but the website was a bit confusing. Still kind of "dirty" as opposed to "aged". shipping a bit steep from Germany

12. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

Agree! Aged and thrown out of the back of a speeding truck are two different things.

kingsxman likes this.

13. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

LoL. Yes. Or the definition of some people: "rub a little mud on it and call it aged!".

I ended up finding a set of used Throbaks this morning for a good deal. So that will have to do for now. Thanks all.

14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its because the plastics are different types. The way colour works with different plastic compositions and the available colours for each makes for that variation.