Historic Gibson Faux Bumblebee Caps

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by TM1, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Thanks Matt. I learn so much here. any reason why repros are 400v and is there any difference tonally?

1 person likes this.
  2. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

If the EU restrictions were the reason, seems like it would have made more sense to use Orange Drops. If they explained the reason I don't think very many people would be mad. Regulations are what they are.

3. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

The correct original voltage is 400V, thus why the reproductions maintain that spec. When it comes to voltage in a guitar circuit, it doesn't make any difference at all.

1 person likes this.
  4. SessionGuy

SessionGuy Junior Member

Not read the all posts, but it's worth saying that some manufacturers changed to ceramic tone caps, because they're non-inductive and greatly reduce the risk of RFI or radio interference! Aluminium foil caps are notorious for this. That's why all DC power supply lines in electronic equipment are always decoupled with ceramic caps!

As an electronics designer myself, I always use ceramic caps in my guitars for this reason. I can never hear any difference (playing clean) in dielectric except for 'value ┬▒tolerance!'

Since most players are playing in deep distortion all the time... how can they hear any difference! Sorry to be unromantic about it. BTW, I have many vintage guitars and have been a player since 1961. I also work in the MI Industry still.

1 person likes this.