High Yield Lessons?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Ph03n1x, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

The last 10 years my playing hasn't progressed much. The biggest reason for this is because I use guitar sort of like a form of meditation and to unplug my brain. I do go through creative points where I try new things and make new songs but this has become relatively rare. The whole not wanting to think part might need to stop so I can progress.

I use the pentatonic scale and a few modal variations but that's about it. I have made up songs using other scales but it was not with understanding what I was doing.

There are tons of vids and lessons online but many of them suck. I would like to hear suggestions for the ones that are high yield. I am smart but have the attention span of a squirrel. So I guess what I am looking for is something that I can sit down with for 10-20min and gain an instantly usable concept. The idea being I don't realize I am thinking and learning :p

2. paradice

paradice Senior Member

best 20 min instantly usable concept video...ever! easily the most I've learned from a single video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kfCNSV9fD4[/ame]

I think I know what you mean btw, 10mins watching a video can seem like a lifetime...

Eddie 70 likes this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I wish there was such thing as a short cut too. Look up David Walliman and check out his fussion course. It's about a 6 month program broken up into weekly lessons. You watch the less then work all week on the concept. If you have to take a year to complete it.. Take a year.

You will also find excellent stuff from Pebber Brown. Look him up. Music teacher at a highly regarded university.

4. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

It sounds like you want/need something with a good, set structure, which probably means paying for lessons (whether it's digital or online or in person). Probably something that really gets into theory and more advanced topics. The benefit of a good guitar teacher would be the fact that they could tailor the lessons to where you're currently at, where you hope to go, and to you're learning style and adjust all of that as you go.

5. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I feel like I am in a spot where I haven't been improving much lately. I improvise over backing tracks some and usually noodle in the evenings watching TV, mainly running scales or sometimes Rocksmith. Lessons would probably do me a load of good. It's hard to find time working 10 hour days with and hour plus drive each way to work.