High output shoot out?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by captcoolaid, Jun 17, 2012.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Speaking of DC does not equal output. Now that it is all said and done, my pickup was mislabeled (I am not sure why?) It was labeled as 15.9K and it is more like 9.15K.

1 person likes this.
  2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

If I told you how I hacked that thing together out of scraps, you'd laugh me right off the forum. I'll just say that there was a nail with the head cut off by a Dremel involved.

Hey, it looked pretty damn mean in that Junior and proved the point about output VS DCR. That's all I was going for. :D

[​IMG]
    Resist the resistance hype.

3. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

Rod, you should have sent in your Zomby Mind Blender set...

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

After having my Zomby site up for a year, with 0 orders, I discontinued my Zomby line.

The "If you only made a high output pickup, I would buy from you" people apparently did not mean it.

I have one set of 7-string Mind Blenders with 4 conductor leads just sitting here.

5. cooljuk

A little off topic, but since we've got some HO winders in this thread, I have about twenty 2.75" A5 magnets that I can't use. They could be good for 7 string pickups or nontraditional P-90s maybe?

Could any of you use them? I'd take some other 2.5" or less of any other AlNiCo type (A2-A5) in exchange. ...or whatever else?

6. randelli

randelli Senior Member

I would like to clarify my comment about the DC double blade pickup not sounding good when I played it to put the blame solely upon me. I did not wish to imply that it was not a good sounding pick up; only that I did not know how to play it.

Like when you Gibby guys pick up a Tele for the first time and sound like 5th graders.... Or when you use a pair of pliers to hammer in a screw......

7. cooljuk

No offense taken here, Randy. :cheers: I knew what you were saying.
    I can make the best of them sound awful, myself.

It really was a thrown together thing though - Two Tele bridge blade bobbins, my standard 42AWG PE wire, an A8 magnet, a cut off nail that stuck to a magnet pretty well so I figured it had good iron content, and generic short leg baseplate.

Slapped together a little logo while at work and had a minimum run of 20 stickers printed with my last run of ReWind stickers, just to throw you off. I shipped if from my office in another city, after already having your address from the harness, to keep up the facade. :naughty:

I'll send it back to you if you like it / want it. :dunno:

1 person likes this.
  8. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

Those are awesome... Except the neck, that is. That jazzbrane 7 string you wound for me is excellent. MUCH more suited. the bridge is wild, but a tad bright... I take that back... REALLY bright. I think the 25.5" scale added too much snap and treble to it. It's great for chords, but for leads I had to use the 7 band EQ to tone the top end down a bit. So probably more suited for a shorter scale guitar. Voicings were fantastic. It's like the PAF7 that DiMarzio should have made but didn't! Hahahaha... A little too harmonic happy also.

But on the low B... oh... my... god... Djent heaven... even the neck!

Are you able to do a 7 string version of my custom set?:hmm:

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I have sold off all my 7 string parts and I have sold off any materials or parts unique to the high output Zomby pickups. It just does not make sense to spend time and money trying to promote something that just does not sell for me.

My P90s and mini-buckers may eventually get the axe too, since so few people think of SKATTERBRANE when it comes to P90s or minis. People want Earthbranes, Earthbranes and more Earthbranes, which make up 70% of my sales, more than all my other models put together.

10. cooljuk

That's just bizarre to me. Knowing your level of knowledge on minis, I wouldn't go anywhere else.