High output shoot out?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by captcoolaid, Jun 17, 2012.

1. BulldogXTRM

BulldogXTRM Senior Member

I had several votes that I should cut the intro of the pickup out and repost the audio for a blind test.

I think what we are likely to get here is a subjective "tone" poll. It won't be a who winds the best high output, instead it would be which high output tone does the majority like.

I'll leave this up the winders.

2. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

It really does not matter to me. I think it may be true some bias as this is what i am known for so it may be expected, but personally i think all put a great foot forward.

Randy what are you gonna do with the pups?

3. captcoolaid

That is why this was done. there are very few that do this and love this aspect of the guitar playing world. The difference in tone is outstanding. It shows what the 4 of us can do with the same basic DC. There are others out there as well. My ex partner Josh is doing some really cool stuff as well.

I hope this helps the "cork sniffers" realize that higher dc does not mean a bee hive in the pants.

1 person likes this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Because you and I have different tastes. The clip in this shootout is one of my least favorite clips of my pickups. (it has nothing to do with the playing, it is just I do not care for the high output or metal style)

I am a cork sniffer!

5. BulldogXTRM

I will say this...

I am very impressed with the quality of the tones from all the winders, both here and in the lower output arena. I would put these winds up against any of the big boys. You guys make a better sounding product.

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Man, I don't know about you guys but I couldn't even think about the pickups. I was so caught up in how great that harness sounds!

:rofl:

4 people like this.
  7. captcoolaid

Rod I was talking about the clips of the metalbrains. I think you should add this set to your line up with this clip. I think it would turn some heads. As far as your low winds they are great as well.

8. BulldogXTRM

He has a metalbrane pickup already but maybe adding this wind as a metalbrane+ or a "hairbrane" since it reminded me of the 80's hair bands.

1 person likes this.
  9. BulldogXTRM

10. randelli

randelli Senior Member

I kinda liked how the guitar sounded............ And Jordan was great too!!

As far as pickups go, I assumed that I would be sending them back when the recordings were done. I think someone mentioned offering them up to some of the younger players or something? Anyone that wants them returned, please PM me and let me know where to send them. I think I have all of the original boxes- but PM me addresses just in case. Also, some of you included hardware and such and I am afraid that I do not remember who sent what. Please let me know what is yours so I can send it back.

-----One of the pickups MAY be a bit, um, delayed...................... yeah, a bit ;)-----

11. randelli

randelli Senior Member

OK I listened to the unmarked clips in the poll and I must say that even I do not know which is which, and I spent about 8 hours with them! They all sound great!

I don't know how the poll thing works; but I think it counted the wrong vote for me. Pretty sure I hit an X and it registered a 26. Whatever, like I said they all sounded great to me, so they are all winners.

Thanks for posting the poll and for working the clips up!

12. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Ha ha I voted but then read that I could of had multiple votes...doh!!!
    You don't have to send my pups back ................Thanks

13. BulldogXTRM

Man, I think that had to do with the amp. I've heard your amp before on YouTube, but those clips didn't do it justice. I think I could play a $50 First Act guitar through that thing and it would sound good.

I'm impressed. I have a 2 main amps, but I think that this thing could be my go to amp and I might be able to get rid of one or both of them with this thing. PM with the details and pricing on the Rude Mood? Do you offer it in a head version?

14. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

It was just a prototype, my first Alnico 9 wind. Was waiting for results here to launch it.

2 people like this.
  15. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Thank you, yes it is special, I wish more people could actually play through one. One day ........

16. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Gents-

I thought I was going to be back home last night and be able to mail back the pickups. Alas, I am still out of town , and I will not be able to ship anything out until Saturday.

17. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

So should we send the guitar to all the winder who participated and have them signed it. Auction it off here and donate the funds to Little Kids Rock I forgot what we decided?

18. randelli

randelli Senior Member

They all went out this morning USPS with a Wednesday / Thursday delivery. Thanks again for your participation and allowing me to help out with the demos. I hope everyone is happy with the results and learned something from the experiment - I sure did!

1 person likes this.
  19. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

ohshit!

You could have kept that "D.C. Resistance" double bladebucker.

That was me messin' round and having a little fun. :naughty:
    Just showing that you don't need high DCR to have high output. I didn't really want any credit since it was my harness in the guitar and I know Jordan. I didn't want to sway any opinions. Guess I should have spoken up sooner, though. :dunno:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Well too late!

But I did really like how that double bladed beast sounds in the video / audio. I think others are liking it too. To be honest, it didn't sound very good when I was playing it, but Jordan was able to coax some sweet sounds out of it. Of course, I could make PAF's sound awful...

1 person likes this.