High output shoot out?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by captcoolaid, Jun 17, 2012.

1. BulldogXTRM

BulldogXTRM Senior Member

Vineham Blunderbuss: 16.5K
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/mike-brunner/high-output-shootout-vineham[/SC]

2 people like this.
  2. BulldogXTRM

MHD Walter: 17.6K
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/mike-brunner/high-output-shootout-mhd-2[/SC]

2 people like this.
  3. BulldogXTRM

MHD Manfred: 19.2K
    [SC]http://soundcloud.com/mike-brunner/high-output-shootout-mhd-1[/SC]

That should be all of them, let me know if I missed any. I didn't repost the Epi since it would have been a repeat post.

2 people like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Thank you Bulldog!

5. randelli

randelli Senior Member

:wow:

That is amazing! It is like you are in the room with us.

I have never done anything other than basic plug and play - I guess I have been missing out. Would you PM me with more deetz? Like where I can get the programs mentioned and then how to use them?

Thanks Bulldog!!

1 person likes this.
  6. BulldogXTRM

Okay, I'll tell you but you have to PM me the "one that stood out".

2 people like this.
  7. randelli

randelli Senior Member

No can do :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVJL19akH0&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/ame]

Did any stand out to you? Any thoughts or comments?

1 person likes this.
  8. BulldogXTRM

Okay fine then, (I'll PM you anyway).
    Let me say this for anyone that is skeptical. I used the EXACT same settings on all remastered tracks. I wanted to make that clear so no one thought I was being biased or tweaking someone's sound. It simply is what it is. I used the stock Epi audio and tweaked it to what I felt an Epi would sound like through the Rude Mood. (Damn nice sounding amp by the way. I gotsta get me one of dem!)

My top 3 choices and why.

1. MHD Walter - This thing was great through all three settings. When I heard it on the clean I though I was listening to a PAF type bucker. Then when it moved to the crunch, I said holy cow!. This think is still articulate, and it's driving the hell out of that amp. Then when it went to the dirty sound it was BAM! I could tell that it wanted to be cut loose. Bottom line - best tones from start to finish.

2. Skatterbrane Metalbrane - The tone on the clean was PAF also, it sounded good even when the tone was completely rolled off. Then to the crunch and I was back in the 1980's listening to my old cassette tapes (no it didn't sound like a cassette but it reminded me of some 80's hairband rock). Then I heard the dirty and I thought I was listening to some EVH vs. Jimi with a twist of Tremonti.

3. MHD Manfred - holy crap (donut turds) Batman! I could tell that this beast wanted to be let loose and was NOT happy in the clean realm. It still sounded great, but I anticipated what was going to happen on the crunch and I was right. I though I could actually smell some smoke. Moving into the full dirty and I said damn, this thing is Beast x2. I actually thought it compared to the output of an active pickup, but with the guttural growl that I think only a passive can have.

I'd give an honorable mention to the Zhangbucker and the Blunderbuss. I think either one of these would be great pickups but they weren't in the zone for me. I also thought there was something going on in the Asylum, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Sorry I edited to fix my order. I had to go back and listen again to make sure I got it right.

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Thanks to all involved. It was a very good turn out. By the way the Walter is a ceramic mag design. thanks for the PAF reference.

10. randelli

randelli Senior Member

Seriously?? So there are several myths being busted in this thread!

2 people like this.
  11. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Just insane, well done :cool2:

Thank you :cheers:

12. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Thanks to Everyone that was Involved in this ,Congrats Rayne

13. BulldogXTRM

Hey brother, that was just one person's opinion, mine.

There's no vote here. I didn't have anything to do with anything except to tweak the audio so it sounded more realistic.

Although, I think for this to be an actual shootout, there should be blind vote. If anyone is up for that I'll repost the audio clips, minus the intro where they say the name. Then a poll as to which one sounds the best.

4 people like this.
  14. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

That's a really cool idea!

15. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

Although, I think for this to be an actual shootout, there should be blind vote. If anyone is up for that I'll repost the audio clips, minus the intro where they say the name. Then a poll as to which one sounds the best.

I've listened to every one at least 5 times, & in different order. I think it would be a great idea to "unlabel" & change the order around. I will say that there isn't any that I Didn't like, even the epi "kinda" held it's own, but 2 really stood out, for me anyway.
    One was to be expected, the other, was a bit of a shock!
    My vote, is for a redo, with no info!

16. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Can I get mine back fairly soon? I already have somebody who wants one...

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Are you fresh out now?

18. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

Can I just say a huge thank you to every one who participated and made this comparison possible.:thumb::thumb:

Very Very Interesting as I am a fan of a hotter bridge pickup, I really enjoyed listening to the different pickups. I wish I had found this thread earlier because I would have liked to participated on some level.

Although they all sounded really nice, there is one particular pickup that I feel has the edge, and now I want one:hmm:.

I think it will be interesting to see if I pick out the same pickup in a blind test.

Thanks again to the people who made this possible.
    [​IMG]

19. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

This was labled as a shootout but was more or less to try and debunk some of the myths about higher DC/output pickups. I liked them all personally. I like the Vineham Blunderbuss and was really shocked at rods entry. Sorry Rod the few clips i had heard prior to this I did not care for. the cleans were great and heavy gain held its own. Dave very full tone on yours as well. I think some of the biggest differences to my ears was the cleans with the tone rolled back. This i do understand is not a normal positipon but that to me showed were clarity came through. Again no winners or losers here all great entries.

20. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

A big thanks to all the guys that made this possible. Thank you for your ideas, your effort, your time, your money.

And extra thanks to the Winders (yes, capital ''W'') that make it possible for us mortals to have these tone-making machines in our guitars and inspire us to be better players.:cool:

I do have a pickup that stands out (clearly) for me, and a winder that also does with his participations, but I will not reveal my favs trying to avoid influencing others. Maybe down the road..

An observation that I will make, in comparison to the PAF shoot-out is that in the PAF shoot-out all the winds were quite closer in terms of tone, which figures if you think that they were actually trying to replicate the best characteristics of a certain type of pickup. In the present shoot-out there was a wider tonal spread (if I may call it that).