Hey What Do I Know ?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Subterfuge, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

Gentlemen, Wildwood Guitars website shows all guitars including "SOLD" items. All their '59 True Historic Les Pauls sold out at $9,499 which I assume is MSRP. My question is that for the last 4 days they have had a "Pre-Owned" True Historic '59 Les Paul with the COA, case etc. PLUS the COA from Historic MakeOvers, signed by Kim himself. Is this a good deal guy's ?? Isn't the seller eating the cost of the Historic Makeover ???

2. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I'm confused. I got the first part on what the TH prices were. But I missed what the price is on the Historic Makeover. Is it full RDS?

More than likely you'll always eat a majority of the cost on a Historic Makeover and upgrades. They're killer so I am not ripping on them in any way, in fact 'd like one. However you're buying someone elses preferences, so lets say you have 8K into the HM, you're lucky to get around $6500 for one used. At least from my experience. I've seen a few used for $7k and they usually sit.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  3. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

I suspect because part of the package includes a BRW board explains the price - considering the similar price for a standard with BRW. Given it's a TH AND a HM, it's pretty much a super duper true historic. They know someone will buy it in a week.

4. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

I believe the Historic MakeOver added another 3K to the price, thanks for the heads up.

5. Crotch

So they want $12,000 for it? If so, no effin way. I'd pay 7k tops unless it is just unbelievable.

What price are they asking for it? Then people can let you know if it is a decent deal.

Who likes this.
  6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Not a full HM . a standard MO . which I think doesn't get the BRW and some other stuff ... IIRC , it's the finish , paint and top carve in a nut shell . Go to HM and take look , it's listed .

Keep in mind WW lists the MAP but sells for less . They don't advertise that because (I guess) of the contract they have with Gibson . I know for fact they sell for less sine they have offered a lower price when i have called over the last couple of years ....

Top of the line , normally wont get discounted(when new in the store , new for the model year) , but if you a big $$ buyer , 100% you get a much better price ..Money talks ..BS walks
    when the TH(example) was a new item ... regular buyer paid full price (at WW- 5 star dealer ) . The longer it's there , the better chance you could get a discount .... 99% of stores work like that ...Shelf space = $$$$

7. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

I am assuming he paid $9,499 for the actual Gibson TH guitar plus the 3k Historic MakeOver ....so he would have $12,500 into the guitar and WW is asking $9,500 ...

Crotch likes this.
  8. Crotch

I say that is not a good deal. Even if he paid 6k for the guitar and 3-4 k to HM. Too much. But this is the way it goes for this type of market in my opinion. If you're going to do a Historic Makeover guitar (which I'd love to do), make sure it is going to be "the one". Cause you will lose on selling it.

Left Paw likes this.
  9. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

Yes Thanks, I checked HS website for their Guitars and they listed as sold by them a 2015 LP True Historic with their Historic Makeover' "Standard" package for $7,995. The exact same guitar that WW is asking $9,499 for.

10. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

I thought none of these were supposed to sell. Good thing Henry decided to stoping making historics.

Sorry, I know it’s a bit off topic but am I the only one who is observing the exact opposite of what most of us expected to happen?

11. Crotch

Well it all depends who you ask. If you look at the people who post in this section, a majority are not buying. And I'm talking of people who were good for a few historics a year. I bought 3 in one year in 2014. Not one since, and own only one of the 5 I had overall. So in my opinion, sure they may be selling, but to the regular guys that were buying many a year, I don't see that anymore. What I see is one or 2 ngd threads a month when you used to see one or 2 a day in 13/14. But that's fine. If that's what Henry wants, to sell 10k guitars...... Have at it.

12. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

Also, I'm not seeing the bit HM website that says they're raising the price. The deluxe package is $3750. Did they tell you something different?

13. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Junior Member

I beg to disagree but I just checked Wildwood's Gibson Custom Shop guitars and it appears to be "flooded" with 59' Les Paul Re-Issues, some of the prices have been reduced also. I don't know if I could disagree with the market being saturated at this moment. It appears to be, at least at Wildwood. I would like to acquire one of these guitars but I would like to get in at the bottom of the market to save me getting divorced. Wife does not share my pleasure of "what !! another guitar!!??"