Hey, that's Greeny!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Veeing Fly, Aug 7, 2017.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Right, Hammett (thats how you write his name btw) can't play guitar at all. :facepalm:

2. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I kinda knew this thread would devolve into "who's better".

IMO, for the most part, there's no such thing as "who's better" when the guitarist's we're talking about reach their level of talent. It's really who we enjoy listening to more...People who enjoy Metal will prefer Hammett, Schenker, etc... and those who enjoy Blues and Blues/Rock will prefer Green, Clapton, Beck, Page, Bonamassa, etc. I just don't look at it as "who's better".

Although there may be one caveat to my argument...Jimi Hendrix. I think we can all agree that he's the greatest rock guitarist of all time...or can we? :D

C_Becker likes this.
  3. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Hermitt can deffinately play guitar. Although, there would be plenty who could fill his spot and you wouldn't know he had gone.

Just not as versatile as GM or other tasteful guitarists.

4. lowend1

lowend1 Junior Member

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. My post referred to Greeny's (the guitar itself) signature tone, which is unique. It has been established that there are definitely tonal variations from one vintage Les Paul to another - probably due more to inconsistencies in the production process as well as in the components themselves than by conscious effort, so the concept of the tone being specific to an individual instrument is very real. As subsequently noted, the player ultimately controls what comes out. Despite an instrument's outstanding tonal qualities, there always exists the possibility that somebody will be able to make it sound like absolute crap. Conversely, a player with a great set of ears and an inherent perception of what sounds "good" will get the most out of even a marginal instrument. To date, I have heard zero evidence that Kirk Hammett is one of the latter.