Hey, that's Greeny!

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Veeing Fly, Aug 7, 2017.

1. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

Yeah, he did well to buy his dream guitar, because he can afford it. And use it to gig with. That's a real guitarist. He has the spirit :)

2. morrisman77

morrisman77 Senior Member

He played it quite a bit in Toronto and it sounded killer! Not sure why anyone would rip him up for owning/playing it other than they are obviously jealous and couldn't play 1/10 as good as he is end of of story!

ktj and Bubba Z like this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

DING-DING-DING! BINGO! We have a winner!

His playing and his band's music may not be my or others' cup of tea, but they obviously checked the pulse of their intended audience and hit the nail squarely on it's head for the prescription and treatment of said audience's ailment!

Well Put Sir!
    Gene

Bubba Z likes this.
  4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

In addition to my previous post, maybe owning/playing/loving this guitar will inspire him and the band to write some stuff that could introduce their fans to the blues in an acceptable to them manner? I mean, let's face it if they wrote a killer hit song that their fans didn't realize was a blues tune, until the reviews called it as such, maybe those fans would broaden their horizons and discover what beauty they've been missing, all these years! The blues can be a subtle and mystifying mistress indeed! And it doesn't have to sound like Muddy Waters to be the blues!
    Just My $.02 & Jealousy For Never Being Able To Screech & Squawk With This Guitar!
    Gene

ToneasaurusRex likes this.
  5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

They already tried that route with Load and Reload. I don't think they could go more bluesy than this, considering their roots;

rikko likes this.
  6. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

+1

PierM likes this.
  7. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Props to him for getting that guitar played live like it deserves to be. That guitar could tell some stories!!Maybe the most storied instrument ever.

Bubba Z likes this.
  8. 87magnumii

87magnumii Banned

We saw Metallica in St Louis earlier this summer. As soon as the rain quit the Paul came out and he played it for a good bit. Thing sounds fucking amazing...

rikko likes this.
  9. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

What a bunch of whingers. Glad Kirk's playing the guitar live, like it was meant to be.

Veeing Fly likes this.
  10. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

i also was at the St Louis show a few weeks back, and it was amazing how much he used Greeny. it really does sound great, and it's awesome they have so many songs that have both a clean tone and distorted tone to really showcase the guitar's sound.

i find it funny that so many people on this forum that love blues, criticize hammett, who is probably the blue-iest and least metal player in that genre out there. he has come right out and said that if he wasn't in a metal band, he'd likely be jamming out the blues or some form of music everyday because it's where his heart is. if you listen to his stuff outside of the band, or even his guitar jams, it's mostly blues oriented. hell he even went to college to study guitar and further his education musically...so i'm not sure why so much disrespect for someone so dedicated to their craft and the field in general.

11. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Because jealousy, thats why

Rocco Crocco and Bad.Seed like this.
  12. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

For all the knocks that Kirk takes on his playing and technique, the guy has written many riffs that we all know, most of us like, and can point out in an instant. He's also a huge gear enthusiast and music enthusiast. He plays in a band that tours constantly, and still writes records. He is fully deserving of this guitar, and the fact that he plays it nightly just reinforces that.

It's more about the spirit than the ability, IMO.

GuitarMechanic and C_Becker like this.
  13. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Senior Member

Yep
    and though he's not my favorite player by a longshot I still think he is pretty darn good and deserves every bit of his success

14. joff

joff Senior Member

The guitar was for sale in the UK for quite a while and there were damning rumours about how raped that it had been since Gary had owned it...but i bet that there are quite a few people out there now who wish that they had grabbed it while they'd had the chance!

I am very pleased that Peter and Gary's old guitar is out there being played by Kirk...but i will just have to make do with my own Greeny. :)
    upload_2017-8-15_18-14-16.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  15. Blushingmule

Blushingmule Junior Member

Look at Billy Gibbons' "Pearly Gates" Cool story and not much country music played with it since the purchase ;-)

BTW, I like country music.

Bob

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    rabidhamster likes this.
  16. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Agreed. I'm sure Hammett loves and respects the instrument. If I had his money it would be MY guitar. LOL Nice to see it will be used and not secreted away by some non-playing collector type...after all, that guitar has THE tone, IMHO......

dsmcl77 likes this.
  17. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

Might as well knock on Satriani if you are going to knock on Kirk, as Kirk studied under him.

Bkilburn and Bubba Z like this.
  18. rikko

rikko Senior Member

Just saw him do "Nothing Else..."
    Two weeks ago on said guit.!!!

It was TEAR JERKING!!!

19. Bkilburn

Bkilburn Junior Member

I never quite understand it when people say "no tone". All guitars that are played definitely produce some form of tone. Wether it's preferred or not .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    dsmcl77 likes this.
  20. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Agreed.

The "good Tone" is in the hands