Hesitation on my first pedalboard...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Sep 3, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yep, Loop-Master is great, just be prepared to WAIT for your order. Like 8 weeks of waiting. I don't think his price can be beat; you'd have to build it yourself to get that quality and value.

And yes, the programmable loopers are killer, but expensive. However, some have an FX loop send, which is all kinds of cool. And any pedal is assignable to either the loop, or to be directly in the signal path-without rerouting your pedals. Cool. You can also run them in any order you want. More cool. I believe that BOSS makes the creme de la creme of programmable pedals, for a good chunk of change. I'd go for one, but that would be akin to a guy looking for a yacht ending up with an aircraft carrier.

BanditPanda and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Gigrig g2 imo is the creme de la creme, the boss is great too.
    Boss is like $800cdn and the g2 is like $2000cdn so im never getting either lol.
    But the loop master is good with me, and for the price I'll wait patiently.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Ok thanks for that White.
    Won't go into much detail but what I want to do with a looper is step on button one and have lets say the comp /Beano/ Marvel FX all come on at the same time. Step on another button and have the SFT/Beano and BB Pre come on at the same time.
    All the way down the line with different pedal combo's.
    Does the Loop Master do that ?
    BP

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

No you'll want the boss es 5 or es 8 or a similar programable looper for that.
    The really good ones like the gigrig or the boss units can even augment where every pedal is in the chain without physically moving the cabling. So you can quickly experiment with say your comp before or after dirt just with a few pedal clicks vs removing and rerouting cables.

5. BanditPanda

By the way I went onto the Loop Master site and it said this...."The downside to this is that each effect won't be assigned it's own switch so choose accordingly....

Does that mean that if I have an O/D hooked in with a treble boost, for example, the O/D will not be available to use by itself ?
    BP

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. BanditPanda

Thanks...at those prices I'll just stick to my stomp and play ( Trade mark registered lol) !

7. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

With theirs you can either hook say 8 pedals to 8 individual loops and just turn them on and off with individual buttons (with master bypass models you can enable the bypass effectively turning everything off at once). Or you could make multiple pedals in mini loops and plug them in to one loop allowing you to turn them on all at once, but not selectable individualy.
    Where as programable ones can turn every loop on or off individually and allow you to program presets where multiple loops are activated at once.

8. BanditPanda

Having an aircraft carrier is a good thing ! lol

WhiteEpiLP likes this.
  9. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Yeah they are crazy pricey, really cool but too rich for my blood as well.
    The loop master with master bypass and a tuner out sounds really good for most applications. The way i envision they should be utilized is to only put the pedals you tend to switch off and on during songs in the looper. So for me i tend to leave my comp on all the time and my soul food but i turn on and off modulation effects more. So if i only put the modulation effects in the looper i can activate the master bypass then turn on the mutilpe effects i want for said part and click off the bypass and turn on all selected pedals at once.

10. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Here it is. I still have to fix the Diago daisy chain PS underneath and drill for the DC plugs. The ME 8 PS will probably get moved underneath as well. Main O/D Modded Daphon. Un - modded Daphon to goose it. Nobels for clean boost. Daphon distortion a transient pedal. PW 10 'cause the Fasel is knackered in my Cry Baby. I have 2 or 3 song patches in the ME 8 but mostly just chorus and delay and tuner.
    DSCF1890.JPG
    FWIW here's my current gigging set - up of which the sound never ceases to amaze me. Please don't make me go down the Modelling/Profiling route.......yet!
    DSCF1892.JPG

ht-57, Mockbel and Rhust like this.
  11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Oh and as for Mockbel's orignal question about what board he should get. I'd also suggest a pedaltrain if you aren't comfortable with making a homemade one. Pedaltrain are soild and affordable and if later in life you want a different/bigger board well a used pedaltrain is an easy sale.
    Also check out pedaltrains pedalboard builder as a reference to the model you will want. It lets you layout the board with accurate size pics of the real pedals.

Mockbel and Rhust like this.
  12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi guys.. i made some more research.. these two seem to be the best...

Pedaltrain Classic 1

[​IMG]

Gator GPB-BAK-1

[​IMG]

I liked this simpler Gator too but many negative reviews on its quality... it is wood by the way !

[​IMG]

13. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

Same here. My looper is only there for my drives and tap.

If you have the skills to build one, I got my kit from Mammoth. It's a 5 looper kit, but I have it running 4 pedals and the leftover spot is holding the guts from my small tap.

14. BanditPanda

Anyway Mock what was your aversion to the BOSS BCB60?
    I used one before I expanded ( my pedals not my waistline) and it was perfect and most certainly not restricted to only BOSS pedals

15. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I decided to purchase a piece of wood, some sticky velcro, screw-on rubber feet for the bottom, and go from there. Very inexpensive, easy to put together, and allowed me to play around with size/tier/angle without breaking the bank. I've settled on one specific size, tiered and slightly angled with a power supply hidden under the tier. Took a couple of years to get to what I was happy with, but my investment in all of those different designs was less than $50.

Regarding the channel foot switch... I had it on my board when I was using an amp with both clean and dirty channels. When I started using pedals to get the dirt I moved the channel foot switch to off the board. Now that I use a Twin Reverb (only channel, essentially) I no longer have a channel foot switch.

I say go custom and have fun playing around with it!

Al

Mockbel likes this.
  16. BanditPanda

As per the OP ".....I think I am too idiot to build one myself..." LOL

Mockbel likes this.
  17. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

It is a fact that i cant deny.. i dont have the tools or skills to do it :dunno:

18. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

It is the only one i inspected myself.. it was bulky and i didnt like how pedals are "inside" the pedalboard rather than "on" it.. just didnt like it

19. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I just built a small B rig pedal board on a cheap frame I got off Ebay for $25.00 with a bag. It started out as just an EQ, an overdrive and a volume pedal (this on the floor outside the pedal board). It's now up to 5 pedals with a tuner, compressor, EQ, overdrive and volume pedal. It's still smaller than my main board but bigger than I meant to go!

[​IMG]

As to the wah, I'm with you - keep it outside the board on the ground. That also allows you to get a narrower board, and leaves room for other pedals. Personally I try to avoid taking a wah out live as they are REALLY heavy...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Mockbel likes this.
  20. BanditPanda

You and me both !:cheers2:

Mockbel likes this.