Hesitation on my first pedalboard...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi all

Currently I just have wah and delay pedals.. most probably I will get another 2 or 3 pedals so I started to think about a pedal board... I am having few questions in my mind that would affect my decision so I thought of sharing those questions with you and get your suggestions...

1. Will I really live with just 3 or 4 pedals so I should get a small pedal board or it always starts like this but ends up with 7 or 8 pedals at minimum so I should get a big pedalboard from m now?
    2. Should I consider a space on my pedalboard for the amp foot switch?
    3. I don't know how the wah feel on a pedalboard? I like it when it is on ground so I am thinking about keeping it outside the pedalboard...

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Build your own! Behold my scag kitchen-cupboard pedalboard!

[​IMG]

Mockbel likes this.
  4. Fuggle

Fuggle Member

I say go big and leave the foot switch off!

5. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I've built my very 1st ever pedal board within the last month having plugged and unplugged my effects for 40 odd years! It has 4 gain pedals, an old multifx, tuner and wah. I need all those together by my mic. The wah is fine on the board. My foot volume is permanently connected and stored inside but is placed on the floor when in use.
    I've settled on zip ties for fixing pedals. They work really well. Velcro seems unreliable and messes up the pedals and anything else seems really expensive
    I don't like the idea of hardwired ins and outs on the sides as I've had plugs snapped off by clumsy feet in the past - crowded gigs!!! wild fans!!!;)
    It still needs some tweaking but it's almost there.

Mockbel likes this.
  6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

:photos: Please..

I think I am too idiot to build one myself.. I kinda like the Gator bone.. not loving the Boss BCB 30 or 60 .. they seem to be made just for Boss pedals and they can handle just one wah size pedal (unless you remove some hardware)..

7. bungle

bungle Senior Member

I settled on a medium size board. I must say that I use my pedals a lot now that their set up. Not so much before. Glad I did it's been lots of fun. Current set up. IMG_1625.JPG

lakeburst and Mockbel like this.
  8. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

I Ditto Bungles comment, as I have put together a small board, and use it all the time, whereas when I had them as separates, I would often take the odd pedal to rehearsal, did not get used to stacking them, and also did not get used to the 'best' settings to gain the range of sounds I wanted to produce IMG_2180.jpg

kboman and Mockbel like this.
  9. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Cool.. I believe a two rows board would be great for me as I will use pedals before the preamp and others in the FX Loop.. I believe two rows would be easier to organize

10. freak

freak Senior Member

Get a pedal train and be done with it. I think I have a pedal train pro. 2 rows, you can get a power supply underneath it also. it is made for that. Keep the Wah on the floor.

GitFiddle, rogue3 and Mockbel like this.
  11. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

See attached Gator

Attached Files:

12. BanditPanda

And open Sesame!

Top row into the FX Loop

Bottom row into front of amp

Attached Files:

Mockbel likes this.
  13. freak

freak Senior Member

soooooooooooooo many options.

And down the rabbit hole you plunge.

kboman likes this.
  14. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Get a loop-strip! Best thing I ever did for my board.

penguinchit and BanditPanda like this.
  15. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

My guidelines would be the following:

1. whatever you buy / build, keep in mind that it is not for ever and perhaps you will have to go up (or seldom, down) in size in the future.

2. It is rather wise to buy / build something larger than what you estimate you will need. Chances are you will need the space.

3. The very best board you can build on your own, will always be heavier that an aluminium Pedal-Train. If weight matters to you or not, is another story. But keep in mind that, especially if you add an isolated power supply in the future, it escalates really fast.

4. As the number of pedals increases, so do the patch & power supply cables. Think of ways of keeping things organised. The more organised the cables are, the less problems & unexpected events you will encounter. OTOH, the more organised you make them, the harder it will be to swap pedals around. Keep that in mind.

5. Remember that it is an ever-evolving project. Think of it as a journey. It never ends. Just keep it fun.

kboman and Mockbel like this.
  16. BanditPanda

Hey NGG..don't know if that was directed at my current set up however yeah what with the many variations of pedal combo's for songs & guitars I think you're right and it is the way to go.

17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I started with 2+ a tuner live... ended up running out of room, even using mini pedals after 9... the more refined you make your sound, and the more options you want you run out of space QUICK

18. BanditPanda

By the way NGG..got any recommendations on the loop strip taking into consideration my pedal board which can be seen above? I'll keep the effects loops pedals out of the looper.
    BP

northernguitarguy likes this.
  19. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Thanks guys.. lots of ideas and points to consider here.. just 2 comments on a couple of suggestions here..

1. I will be running very few pedals at least for the near future so the loop strip may not be necessary now.. although I admit it is turning the pedal board into an effect processor with predefined patches !
    2. I am a home player so weight is not much of a factor. However, I would still go for a ready made pedalboard than building my own

20. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I beilive his is a loop master. They are very good units at very reasonable prices, but they arent programable just puts all your switches right out front. If you are looking to have say multiple pedal come on at once you need to run them together to one loop on these loopers where as programable units can have many pedals turn on at once and save the presets to be recalled at any time. I honestly think for most players programable is overkill, very cool but overkill.
    I will be purchasing a loop master 8 loop with master bypass and tuner input in the near future which can be had right now for $129. Thats pretty stupid cheap.