Hercules Professional 12" Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw vs. Dewalt DWS780

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Bytor1958, Jan 31, 2019.

1. splatter

splatter Senior Member

I have a DEWALT chop saw and all my drills are dewalt. Can't say anything bad about them. Bought a Ryobe router once. It lasted about 2 months. lesson learned.
    Hercules may be a great saw. I have no clue, I hope it works well for you

Bytor1958 likes this.
  2. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

stop by a pawn shop, by far the best deals i've found on quality tools.

3. splatter

splatter Senior Member

I'm with you on the workboots. I can't stand wet feet and I can't wear cheap boots. I don't need a wetsuit. I live in ga and I don't scuba ( never had the opportunity)

4. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

They're ALL made somewhere in Asia today. Not just Dewalt, but B&D, Bosch, Ridgid, Craftsman, etc. Even Hitachi, which is Japanese are made in China. That's why I only really pay attention to the warranty. I prefer the Hitachis because they're less expensive, and some carry a 5 year warranty. Check out the Hitachi #C10FSHC 10" dual bevel sliding laser miter saw at some places as low as $249 (Menards). 5 year warranty, and it's configured so that you don't need any rear clearance when you slide the blade towards the back.

Roxy13 and Bytor1958 like this.
  5. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Sadly, that is with no washer. I just have a cheap Craftsman table saw they was in the wife's Grandpa's shop. It gets the job done, but it's definitely not the nicest saw. Aluminum top, shitty fence, under powered.

6. Rds

Rds Senior Member

I know a lot has been said already but my 2 cents would be its not even a question get the dewalt, you wont be sorry.

7. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I have the Hercules. I was wanting the DeWalt but it felt too cheap now, than the ones from yrs ago.

8. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

I'm interested to see what these are like. Like Bytor mentioned, this is a new line from Harbor Freight meant to break into the professional tool market. Could be quite disruptive if they actually are decent quality.

Bytor1958 likes this.
  9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Keep an eye out on CL, both in the tools and free sections. Lots of times, when widows and/or kids are cleaning out dad's workshop they think those old dusty things are worthless...

PeteK likes this.
  10. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I read a lot of reviews on this. I didn't see anything that they are not good quality saws.

11. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

12. spoony

spoony Silver Supporter

Looking forward to your review. I plan on upgrading from a 12 DeWalt miter to a 12 slider soon. Was planning on going with another DeWalt so would like too hear what your experience is.

Thanks,

s

Bytor1958 likes this.
  13. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I can remember the first time I saw Norm use that big slider with the laser guide. I had some serious TAS (tool acquisition syndrome).

In my old workshop, I had about 10 feet of continuous counter space on the back side of the shop (shop was almost 16' long, IIRC). In the middle I built in a recess to allow me to remove a piece of countertop and have a spot for the mitre saw that lined up perfectly with the countertop as infeed/outfeed tables.

One of the key things that I learned from Norm was lighting. You need lots of lights and different types like direct (spot light), indirect (overhead ceiling light) and diffused (upward facing sconces or some other form of reflected light).*

* Going from memory, so I may have got the names he used wrong, but you can get the drift, spot, overhead and sconce.

KTM, Scooter2112 and Bytor1958 like this.
  14. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I'm going to unbox and test it this weekend. A lot of the reviews are from guys that know what they are talking about. Cabinet makers and finish carpenters and DIYers.

Scooter2112 likes this.
  15. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

Norm was my inspiration to get into woodworking. I watched The New Yankee Work Shop every weekend.

16. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I have always wanted a mortising chisel and bit, since I saw him first use one, many moons ago. That said, so far I have never built anything with a mortise and tenon joint. I still want one, though.

I did buy the Porter Cable biscuit joiner...

17. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

I had one of these it was one of the tools I got rid of it and I wished I didn't. Like I said before I had a lot of tools in storage and was paying more for storage than I paid for the tools so I sold everything.
    I was making Craftsmen/Arts And Craft style furniture. A lot of mortise and tenons.
    [​IMG]

Tone deaf likes this.
  18. spoony

spoony Silver Supporter

The most important lesson I have come across lately was this one by a guy who goes by Stumpy Nubs. It's in regards to table saw safety but really made me think about cutting tool safety in general. Some good advice on keeping safe in this video. Whenever I forget to put safety first I'm reminded and some time it's not so pretty.

What's a guitar player without his fingers?

Sad!

s

19. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

When I was a kid, my dad had a tablesaw in the backyard and it threw a small piece of 2x4 across the street and into the tops of some big ass avacado trees. It went over the telephone lines on the other side of the street.
    I’ve been pretty careful with them ever since.

Bytor1958 likes this.
  20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

First thing I did to my table saw was remove that awful safety cover thing. It made the saw virtually inoperable.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.