Henry possibly discontinuing Custom Shop Reissues??

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jlb32, Mar 15, 2017.

1. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Importing an original 68/69 over here in Europe (those are mostly USA market) means charging an extra 22% for VAT and another 24% for Taxes. That, plus the risks involved in the shipping and the "as is" seller policies. Means final price for me would be an average 12.000$. No f......g way. :)

Also the prices are not looking that "low";

https://reverb.com/it/item/3510951-gibson-les-paul-custom-1969-black

2. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

3. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

well international yeah point made (which I get but was unknown) That 69 on reverb is way, WAY overpriced for its condition. He'll NEVER sell it at that price (no wonder it's been going on over a year). That's an 7300-8K max value on that imho, and that's if the frets aren't shot and doesn't need a refret right out of the gate despite the claim it's in 'great' shape. moved input jack, extra holes? 13K? The seller is smoking bling-bling grade crack.

rich85, DanD and PierM like this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Senior Member

5. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Downsizing, factory space wise and production, in this guitar market, is a good move IMO. What company can continue to put out that much massive production of guitars, in a down market, and survive right now?

Gibson needs to downsize some in space and production. IMO this is a good move over continuing as is and going under completely.

The guitar market is not dead IMO. It's just not what it was 5-20 years ago and the fades of today. As long as country and rock lives, guitars will be alive and well and hopefully come back full circle in the future.

It's all trends. If rock becomes again more popular and rap declines then guitar sales will flourish again.

6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

IMHO Guitars sales will never be what they were in the past if the younger generation of today continue to want instant gratification.

Just the way of the World & I doubt it will change much in the next 5 - 10 years, especially when you consider the rapid rate of technological development.

Just look at people out in public, all they want to do is play with their Cell Phones, they don’t even want to interact with each other anymore.

Learn Guitar & practice, practice, practice.........for most, I don’t think so.

So every time I read Guitars (even Bursts) are an investment for the future I almost wet myself laughing.

BTW, Gibson is not the only Company struggling right now.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

hoss and mudface like this.
  7. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I agree but it is all trends of music. If trends change, like they always do, then guitar MAY become super popular again.

8. strat1701

Yeah, i Hear Line 6 is making amps and guitars that link together via bluetooth and you just sit them on the stage and they play themselves....you're a band! :eyeroll:

As I said in the bitcoin thread, bursts/vintage guitars are not liquid assets and HARDLY qualify as investments. A select handful would be considered, but most of those are famous artist owned and will probably never be sold on the market so that anyone could 'invest' in buying Gibbon's Pearly, or Bernie's Beast (ha sounds like a band name....feel free to take it) or Page's #1 or #2. If htose hit the market yah those could be 'investment' worthy but you're very limited to who you could sell to.

you're 100% right, guitar just isn't what it used to be and probably never will be what it was in the 90's or even 2000's. Maybe it'll change but I also agree ALL guitar brands are feeling the hit right now, Gibson is probably the biggest in terms of notoriety and financial woe, but they do tout some of the most $$$$ guitars out there (save for private stock PRS and all), so they don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

Even the global brand savior won't be able to save Gibson in this trend/market...

ALL HAIL OUR SAVIOR AND HERO!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

9. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

The amount of guitar makers and companies nowadays would have been too many in any bloody generation.

And these BS guitar ordering companies like Wylde Audio and Chapman who dont own a single tool, and never have, are an insult.

10. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Not to mention the economy is feeling the full effect of the recession. Many have gone without raises for the past 7-8 years. All that while their health insurance premiums have almost doubled. Now there's no more tin cans to cash in.

We all see it when we try to move gear. I know I'm preaching to the choir. But I started to get serious with selling gear online back in 2004. From that time till about 2008 were by far the golden years. I'd throw stuff online and watch it go in hours or be bid up greater than my expectations. I sold all through the stock market and housing crash. But honestly this past year was the absolute worst I've ever endured. I think I would of had trouble selling a gold covered Pearly!

Without some changes Gibson would probably not be able to continue. I honestly believe if not for these large online distributors doing 2-4 years 0 interest - the whole thing would come crashing down like a house of cards. People just do not want to pull cash out of their pocket.

hoss and lpthomas like this.
  11. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

We're not in a recession

12. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I know, you're correct. But the effects of what was are really setting in now on Main Street.

13. strat1701

you know its a shitty market when getting shafted by GC selling to them is enticing and near the price point you'd end up with trying to sell yourself.

I sold ONE guitar this year, in Januray. I wanted to list others but I've refrained because I know they'd have to be firesale priced to move, IF that.

alnico59 likes this.
  14. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Good point.
    A small example: My friend had a Dr Z head he was trying to sell online for a few months this past fall. Btw, which is normally a great time to move gear. He lowered the price several times and every time more and more people would watch/save it. All that time it was priced right at or lower than the other comparable Z amps. But in the end nobody hit the button. Not even a single offer! It got to the point, with 6 mos paypal buyer protection, shipping cost, possible damage during transit, etc.., it wasn't worth it to sell online. So, he dumped it off at GC with no hassles for slightly less. I never thought I'd see the day but it is what it is.

Crotch is right, technically we are not in a recession. But that's determined by the Govt'. However they do not pay ones bills or force employers to give raises or lower health care premiums. Go ask a car salesman how he's doing. I went car shopping this past summer. There were still 2016 leftovers on the lot! I think if you don't look for it you won' see it.

I'm sure Gibson is feeling it too. Honestly I think they have never fully recovered from the raids in 2012. It's not like the Fed Govt' says sorry, maybe we went a little too far. Btw, here's everything back and compensation for your troubles.

Pappy58, RAG7890 and hoss like this.
  15. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

It's not like people were all into playing musical instruments before cell phones came around. Playing/making music was never a mainstream thing to do.
    I hate cell phones and all the so-called social media, but it's unfair to say that people who are so into that stuff these days are worse than those from several decades ago. Hanging out spending time not really doing anything useful has always been the thing to do among teenagers. It's timeless.

Speaking of not wanting to interact with each other: I don't want to interact with random people on the street either. And I hate cell phones and so-called social media.

Was that ever the case "for most"?

16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You are totally missing the point of what I am saying here.

:cheers2:

17. strat1701

yeah, guitars aren't investments....and the whole 'guitar' state is in the shitter/backburner...nobody cares about guitar as much anymore, or at least from a mainstream standpoint.

18. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

And with that I'm down to three. I had an opportunity a few days ago to let my 2004 R7 go for exactly what I paid for it 1 1/2 years ago so I grabbed the opportunity. Plus it went off to a very good friend. Like all my guitars it needed a few upgrades to make it perfect for me. I already have one in the shop and I'm done with projects. Time to enjoy what I have and let the market doldrums slip by.

RAG7890 and hoss like this.
  19. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Another popular Austrian country-rock trio (with Telecaster!) using the Styrian Harmonica

20. Squints17

Squints17 Member

Gibson is a brand for older generations. They are not an influential brand or status symbol to younger generations. None of the bands I grew up with that we’re big other than G’n’R were featuring them.

I don’t know the average age of most of the members ere, but I assume it’s at least generation older than mine.

I’m 35 (born ‘81)make a decent living. Have a kid, and a wife that works part time. Pretty typical for my age. Nobody I know has 3k plus to throw down on one guitar/luxury item. I wish I could afford a CS LP, I’d love to have one.

I hope by my 40th there will be a flood of them on the market from baby-boomers liquidating for retirement. This would really be the easiest way for me to snag one.

Only few people I know actually play guitar, and they don’t care about Gibson or custom shop stuff, they see it as overpriced and gimmicky. I saw one of them laugh at the salesman at Chicago music exchange when he shows him the rusted pickups. He played the guitar and rolled his eyes at the price.

Gibson is banking in the emotional attachment their customers have to the brand. There customer base is shrinking, and there is no one to take their place. Younger people like me that are into them are few and far between.