Henry possibly discontinuing Custom Shop Reissues??

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by jlb32, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Rumor from a very reliable source.

From what I was told, unless someone talks some sense into Henry, supposedly he's discontinuing the Reissue series and not allowing the Custom Shop to build Reissue guitars at this time.

Maybe that is one reason for the Edwin situation.

I have also noticed that it seems alot of Gibson dealers stock of Reissues is dwindling. Even Wildwood, Gibsons top dealer, has very few in stock these days.

We are into March with no 2017's on the market.

Like I said, it's just a rumor right now but it is from a reliable source.

Weird things going on at Gibson right now.

[​IMG]

2. Zakmichael

Zakmichael Senior Member

The price just went up on my for sale ad!

Alvinfan and Diegong Taga like this.
  3. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Check out this thread.....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387170

He's gone totally balmy if you ask me. Borrowing millions to stave off an interest payment due in May and he still believes in his 'branding lifestyle' bull**** I think too much. Dave's, WW, HOG, Rainbow, even Music Zoo, they're all not getting new stock and Dave's has pretty much cancelled his relationship with Gibson because of how he's selling his 'new' guitars well under MAP, which is a huge no-no for Gibson premiere dealer. I think the reputable dealers see way too much bad **** coming down and are very cautious. I'd be if I were in their shoes.

4. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

They made enough the last 3 years to probably stock the world for the next 5 seasons.

5. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Better go out and buy them up!!!

I would not be surprised if this is to get some tail feathers ruffled, and there is a big buy up...

He would be foolish to pull that asinine move....

At the price they are now does anyone think for a second it costs THAT much to produce them?

All that money invested to pull a plug like that ?

Robert Arthur likes this.
  6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

When hasn't it been a weird time at Gibson?

There was a NAMM video that mentioned THs were going Made to Measure. Maybe that's what's happening. If you want a historic, you order one and wait, and maybe that means the Custom Shop will become an actual Custom Shop and not the production line it is now.

The same happened in late 2011 with claims both one-piece rosewood and ebony would never be used again.

7. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

A bit early for April 1st fodder isn't it?

Seriously - I don't doubt this has some root in fact, no more "R" series - instead they will all be CCs - until we run out of CCs to make...or no R series until late 2017, then slowly release them.

It's been a money machine for 20 years - no way they drop it overnight....would be like Ford saying no more F series trucks...too profitable and too many sold. Just need to balance out supply with demand and regain that "perceived" scarcity and superior build quality factor.

I've also said it before and will repeat - G will be into retail in some form before this decade ends...either exclusive with GC or semi exclusive with the Musicians Friend for online exclusives. Too many synergies and someone in that equity group ends up buying a chunk of G Brands.

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

HJ..........providing a source of entertainment for MLPF members for years. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:cheers2:

rockinlespaul likes this.
  9. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

^^^^ This ! ^^^^

10. Crotch

I just asked my guy about this. His response was.......
    Gibson sent me an email on 3/9 mentioning they are dropping a few 57-59’s but nothing stating they are all going away, mainly 2014 spec ones, nothing dropped from standard historic as of 3/9 …but it’s Gibson we are talking about , so things can change daily.:)

Take it how you want to

11. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

I highly doubt this rumor to be true. Gibson does in fact have 400-500 2017 reissues already made and in stock. Many have mentioned and made a big deal of Dave's not being a Gibson dealer this year. This is nothing new, Dave has done this 3 times in the past and taken a year off after he has stocked up on enough guitars for the year. He just bought 60-70 2016 reissues at an extra discounted price. And feels that if the 2017's won't be out until after the first quarter, then he's all set for 2017 with what he has in stock.

12. Crotch

Very True. And in that particular example, keeps his money in his pocket, rather than having to commit so much to the almighty G due to their heavy buying requirements to remain a dealer.

13. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I say interpret it the way you want to. Just offering what I heard from someone I feel is highly credible. I personally have no factual information myself.

I do find it strange though that a company that many say is in major debt would be sitting on 400-500 guitars for months and that most Gibson dealers have fairly small stock of Reissues, including Daves. Not much profit in sitting on stock and not selling product.

Letting stock run low won't help future sales IMO. It may hurt more than help since many buyers are frivolous and if it's not available they just buy something else.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  14. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

I have it on good authority that there will be a five year hiatus.

Then in 2022 Gibson will release the 2022 Reissue 2012 Reissue 59 Les Paul. 2023 will bring the 2023 Reissue 2013 Reissue 59 Les Paul through until 2027 which will bring the 2027 Reissue 2017 Reissue 59.

2028 will bring a brand new series called the 2028 Reissue 2022 Reissue 2012 Reissue 59 Les Paul etc.

jvannucci and lunchbox like this.
  15. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Well it would make sense he is no longer interested in those "cheap" historics. From a business point of view he can put a fancy name on a regular R9 and make a lot more money. 2015 showed us that with the short tenon historics. Wanting people to buy CC models. So maybe he wants to stop his own guitars basically being in direct competition with themselves.

Made to measure, CC and artist models only? I can see it.......

16. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Lot of rumours, I don't put stock in any of them,,, but makes for good reading.

17. Deadletteroffice

Deadletteroffice Senior Member

They have a ton of 2017's ready to ship. My guess is some of the big retailers are holding back the release as there are so many 2016's still hanging. Not to mention the blood bath that's going to be the TH's and the TH/Aged. A friend who works at Sam Ash in Hollywood told me that they did not sell 1 single TH at that location in all of 2016.

Gibson is at SXSW this week. I suspect by early April the shoe will drop, as will the prices on 2016 TH's and TH/Aged and 2017's will start to trickle out.

I'm hoping there is a 54 Goldtop in the line this year because if what I've heard and been told is true, it will have a R9 shaped neck. That will have my name written all over it.

18. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

So does this mean I won't be able to go into my music shop and order a 1958 lefty to be made from "scratch"?

19. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

No it means you will :thumb:

20. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Yeah all rumours.

But remember when the 2015 model year rumours came out and everyone said "there is no way he is that stupid"

He likes to prove that he is.

Diegong Taga likes this.