Help with parts for 61 sg project

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Redhotjohn, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Redhotjohn

Redhotjohn Junior Member

Hello,
    This is my first post but I have been reading threads for a little while
    I recently bought a 61 sg husk/body project and was looking to start kitting it out with a mixture of original and repro parts and was wondering if anyone had any original parts for sale or any advice on what repro parts to use
    It came with only the truss rod cover and I've recently bought a pickguard and back plates and an original side pull trem
    I wish I could find original pafs but I saw some on Ebay a few weeks ago for $6000 which is ridiculous!!!! So I might have to buy repros
    I've been looking at wiz pickups, mojotone 59 or Seymour Duncan antiquities (some marston LE "the beast burst" pickups came up on Ebay also) I think I'm liking the mojotone?
    Any advice on pickups original or repro? Or where I can buy original tuners, knobs, pots etc let me know
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Welcome to the forum!

I've had Wizz pickups and they were really good. No experience on the others. I might also recommend OX4 or even some Gibson Custombuckers. Ultimately, you might just have to try some and experiment to find what you like best in that guitar.

For parts, you might try contacting Kyle at Vintage Correct Parts. He often has original harnesses, knobs, tuners, etc.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I can help with a set of repro tuners!:naughty: I have a set in my stash I could part with.
    [​IMG]
    They are double line double ring, but if detail isn't overly important, I can save ya a lil.
    Otherwise, you want these:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TonePros-Vintage-Bushing-3-3-Double-Ring-Keystone-Single-Line-Tuners-TPKV2-N-/230934560940

4. Redhotjohn

Redhotjohn Junior Member

Thank you for the advice
    I've looked at a lot of vintage correct parts and he's got a lot of stuff I need I might get the knobs off him? I'm trying to not go crazy spending on the parts but it seems like if I want mostly original stuff then it's going to go that way
    I've been looking at the mojotone 59 pickups on YouTube and they sound awesome as do the wizzpickups
    Are those tuners aged? And will they fit the 61? PM for how much you want thank you

5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

If you just want to get it up and running cheaply, I'd keep an eye on the classifieds section here for used parts. You ought to be able to get a decent and cheap set of repro tuners, knobs, pickups, rings, etc. As long as you're not mounting parts that require new holes, it'll be easy to swap out for vintage/boutique stuff here and there as opportunities arise later on and, as long as you bought the stuff used in the first place, you should be able to put it back on the classifieds thread and get your money back out of it.

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Agreed!

Vintage Correct is the TOP end of the price range for me, and sad when you see the body of the guitar that the parts were raped from in the same listings..BUT, if you need the part, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

I like ebay seller Authentic Vintage myself.

I think you need more messages to PM, but lest just say a couple of Jacksons, and we'd be good.

7. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

^Kris is a good guy -- you should give him a holler.

There's so many cats on here who're constantly upgrading parts and swapping pickups on their Les Pauls that there's a really steady stream of good deals on bits and pieces in the classifieds. I bet you can snag some rings, knobs, etc., and a set of nice used humbuckers of whatever flavor you want for much less than sourcing new parts. I've seen some decent deals on early Pat. sticker pickups from time to time, too -- that'd probably be what I'd look for in the long run, if I wanted to return it to "original." Good luck! Yours is a nice looking starting point.