Help with Mick Taylor riff

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by goodvibes, Mar 3, 2017.

1. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Howdy forum brothers. I need help with a Mick Taylor riff in one of my favorite songs called "can't you hear me knocking" on The Rolling Stones album Sticky Fingers". There are plenty of videos on YouTube on the song however I have yet to find one that instructs on how to do his riff just after the saxophone stops. This part is in regular tuning not open G. So another words it's just the Mick Taylor solo at the end of the song. The history behind this song is pretty fascinating. Apparently they were done playing and Mick Taylor picked up his guitar and started continuing to jam and the recording kept going. Needless to say, it's one of the greatest rock songs! Again, I have checked all over the Internet and have not found any lessons that are accurate.

2. JonR

JonR Senior Member

This is dead easy!

Firstly, the key at this point is D (dorian), with the guitar alternating G and F major triads as the sax peters out.
    The lead solo starts with a few notes from A minor pent, and then proceeds with some more orthodox D minor pent stuff.

Here's the opening lick:
    Code:
    ---------------------------------------12--15p12----------12-----12----
    -13h15---------15-13----13------13h15--------------------------------
    ---------------------14---------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    After a pause, it's then a release bend ((b14)r12) on 3rd string, and into some generic D minor pent noodling. All seems to be based on the standard minor pent pattern at 10th fret, top 3 strings, roaming up into the next position (frets 12-15).
    One of things that makes it for me is his constant repetition of small elements - a good trick which makes it sound less like noodling.

Eg - and I guess this may be the riff you mean - he gets brilliantly obsessive with this one:
    Code:
               ~~~~~
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    -----------10----------
    --10-11-12-------12----
    -----------------------
    -----------------------

- with the syncopated accent on the top note. As it goes on, it gets embelllished, but it's all stuff that's pretty easy to find once you're in that Dm pent position.

EDIT: mode name corrected!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    goodvibes likes this.
  3. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

Thanks a bunch JohnR. Sorry it took me so long to respond. They had the forum screwed up temporarily. I'll give this some more practice. Yeah Mic Taylor is a master at making simple solos brilliant.... Its all about the phrasing.

4. huw

huw V.I.P. Member

I can hear some heads being scratched Jon. ;)

Howard2k likes this.
  5. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Yes, I scratched my own head for a moment when I read my post back just now... I meant DORIAN of course. Original post fixed.

In fact, there is a mixolydian riff at the end:
    Code:
    --------------------|----------------------
    --------------------|-----------------------
    --------------------|------------------------
    --------------------|------10----10--12----
    ----9-----10------12|---12----12---------------
    -10-----10-----10---|------------------------
    So, really the tonality is just our old friend modal mixture, or just "D blues" - or D "mixodorian" - just the dorian side of it for the most part.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Howard2k and huw like this.