Help with Marshal combo

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by mandobandit, Dec 28, 2017.

1. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Great sounding amp that can crank pretty loud.

4. mandobandit

thanks guys just wondered if worth checking out, well I will use as an excuse to hit the shop this weekend

5. Geeze

Geeze Junior Member

It depends on what you are looking for sound wise. As good as a JMP 2204 [I don't remember the model #] or a 4010 JCM800? No - but [hopefully] much cheaper as it is one of the many forays Marshall made into the tube + solid state realm.

Now I'm going to sound like the grumpy old man yelling at kids to get off his grass - save your money and get a JMP / JCM [800 or 900] combo or even a used DSL40. All will be superior to any hybrid or SS amp Marshall made.

Russ

6. mandobandit

thanks Russ
    I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, I've considered the DSL40 or maybe DSL15, as I play primarily at home, but I have had a chance to start playing with a co-worker who plays drums, we head to his house for lunch to play.
    He has some variation of a Line 6 twin style combo, it's convenient, but I'm thinking of taking my Katana 50 to his house, and use it as an excuse to buy a low watt tube combo for home use I'm intrigued by the new Tone King Gremlin, but I want something in the Marshal camp, I'm also very interested in the Reeves Custom 12, but not much is available for reviews or demos, I'm looking for Clapton's Bluesbreaker tone at low volume.
    thanks again

7. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I had one briefly back in the day. Definitely loud, and will give a good approximation of the Marshall sound. But really way too loud and piercing for my taste.

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

You might also want to look at the Reeves Custom 10HG with power scaling. 1 EL 34 and sweet Marshall tone. With power scaling, you can dial back the gain and up the master.

Who and needlespauls like this.