Help with Cortez les paul copy

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Robert Pasqualini, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Robert Pasqualini

Robert Pasqualini Junior Member

Bought this Cortez les paul. Just wanted to find out what year it is and how much its worth. Picked it up for $300 and it plays and sounds awesome!
    https://m.imgur.com/a/vp9AG

kiko likes this.
  2. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Looks very nice! Fret edge binding and looks to be a solid top.

So im wondering
    Replaced potentiometers? Tbk is that a sticker? Is the neck 3 piece laminate? Is the headstock binding real or painted on?

To figure out the year Id base that on the script cortez logo vs. The logo that came after that, like on the Cortez Pro les paul copies. What the transition year would be will require some googling. Id guess late to mid 1970s. Maybe Fujigen factory made depending on other details.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  3. Robert Pasqualini

Yes sure is

4. Robert Pasqualini

The binding is real on the headstock. Neck is one piece. Headstock is 3 pieces. Looks like how a regular Gibson headstock is with the "wings" but the headstock is a separate piece from the neck

5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Construction is very similar to my Pearl LP (yes the drum company) with a mix of LP standard body bindings and LP custom block fret inlays, dowelled tenon, head stock with wings, volute, lacquer finish.

Mine is wine red, heavy as $hit, has a thick neck, and from what I have read made by Matsumoku in the mid to late 70s. Modded mine with cts pots and switchcraft switch, PIO and orange caps, vintage maxon humbuckers. Plays and sounds beautiful! LOVE IT.

6. Robert Pasqualini

Yeah the neck on mine is a bit of a bat. The pups are a bit microphonic as well. I'm thinking they aren't potted at all.

7. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Yes not potted and squeals but can be fixed by openng it up and adding a layer of thin double sided tape between the bobbin top and the cover.

8. Robert Pasqualini

That was my plan haha

9. Robert Pasqualini

What does everyone think its worth? And I'm guessing I won't be able to pinpoint a year from what I'm seeing.

10. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I usually figure that out based on searches for similar items sold recently.

So.....I'd say yours is worth $300! ;)

That seems about right. Playable guitar in decent shape, but not collectible or remarkable.

kiko likes this.
  11. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Any collectible value would be gauged by what a Cortez collector determines it has. Cortez and Pearl and Memphis def had some upper end LP copies that defied there plentiful entry level models with bolt necks and hollow plywood tops. Those in the know are fewer than the Ibanez crowd for example. The better Cortez seems to peak just below $400 on eBay.

Your guitar if not needing refretting or expensive repairs is probably perfect for getting some Gibson pickups and upgraded pots and calling it a day and being happy not to having to spend $1,300 on a real Gibson.

12. kiko

kiko Senior Member

I agree, these guitar don't command much and not as desirable as some Jap LPs. Just enjoy it for what it is.

13. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member