Help with 1968/69/70 SG Special - Player Grade

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jgonway, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jgonway

jgonway Member

I am looking for some help to see if you are seeing what I see and to give me your thoughts on what year this guitar is and a a fair price for this late 1960s SG Special.

This kinda reads like Johnny Cash's song One Piece At A Time. This guitar has numbers that don't match up for easy dating of the guitar. So here we go:

The serial number is 907428 (without a Made in USA stamp)-- which is not an easy number to place. Tony Bacon's Book on SGs says that 1970 guitars had serial numbers from 900000-9019999 so it does not fall in that range; his book also states that 1968 guitars had the next nearest range of 910000-999999----- so the guitar does not fit into any of the ranges in his book. Gibson's archive puts it as a 1968.

The pots (1376929) indicate 1969--- 29th week. The pickups are original and the soldering looks untouched to my eye.

Gibson on the headstock does not have a dotted i.

There is no volute.

The fretboard is definitely Brazilian rosewood.

As you can see from the pics, the guitar has a minor crack on the inside of the bevel that goes into the pickup cavity, but it is stable and the guitar tech (very reputable) says it is not an issue to worry that much about-- mostly cosmetic. The prior owner had converted it to a stop tail and tune-o-matic bridge-- the holes for doing so were plugged nicely years ago by the same guitar tech--reinstalling the vibrola will mostly cover the holes. The guitar currently has a Badass bridge installed. The sideway vibrola will be included, but the lightning bolt bridge is missing. Grovers have replaced the stock tuners.

There are no neck breaks or heal breaks or resets. Hard to tell if the frets are original. Replaced pickup switch toggle.

Now the pics.

Attached Files:

2. jgonway

jgonway Member

more pics

Attached Files:

3. jaik

jaik Senior Member

you can always go on eBay and search for completed sales on these to get a ballpark

a crack by the neck body joint carrying into the cavity is spooky to me; this design has basically nothing else holding the full pressure of the string tension & mahogany, especially old mahogany, is very light airy stuff. I'd want to see where that originates around the back, especially with that gunkiness between the end of the fretboard and the body, but its already no-go territory for myself personally. Everyone has their own range of acceptance & risk. But don't try a neck bend on that one unless its the last song in the set...

1 person likes this.
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I pm'd ya bud!

1 person likes this.