Help w/ my decision...(R6 vs ??? question)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ventura, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ventura

ventura Member

Long time, Folks...

I've got some fantastic Lesters, I've been a lucky man. Outside of my "true original vintage" fiddles which don't see the light of day, I've got a custom '68 5A top; a 3PU minty goodwood '57 Black Beauty; a '57 GTDB RI, and a Yamano R9 Lemonburst.

I have the opportunity to pick up a minty 2001/2002 R6 with COA, CaseCandy, etc. - all tags, tools, etc. I've run the SN past Gibson HQ - things line up - it's a solidbody R6. What I'd like to know is, what do you all think these guitars are going to be like in a few years if indeed the CS shuts down or minimizes its output?? Furthermore, anyone have a 2002 model R6 with P90s?? Happy with it??

The other option I have at this time is to buy into some ESP Standard model guitars. This is the Les Paul forum, I won't get into too much about the ESP, but their former "Standard" line, of which I own several as well, are skyrocketing in price AND they're amazing players (ESP recently shuffled their corporate design, the Standards are now "USA Custom" status guitars, the LTD are more or less their lower end, and the E-II are the older Elites, whatever - this is the Les Paul forum - but Standards are tripling in price from where they were just 2-4 years ago)

So - do I take the plunge with this pending R6 in minty condition for a decent price?? Is it an investment or are these simply going to depreciate along with the host of Traditionals and Standards that are weight-relieved, chambered, eTuned, etc.??

Thanks for your input - good to be back!!
    Cheers
    V.

2. DanD

DanD Senior Member

For GTs I wouldn't consider anything prior to '03 simply because of the 'rounded' inlays.

I'd forego my disdain for the rounded inlays for the right top tho. There are many fine flame tops from '97 - '02 era that are so nice I could overlook those Gibson USA inlays.

Unless this one is a screaming deal ($1500-$1800 range) I'd look for nothing older than '13s.

Over the past decade there's been so many upgrades to the Historic series that they pretty much depreciate in a straight line. Especially GTs. Unless we're talking a very special top I'd pass.

Happy hunting! :cheers2:

3. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

03's rule....

Nearly all of the early 00's are excellent guitars....except for the rounded inlays.....your bang on the price too....

I tried several P90 types and I can't deal with the noisy hiss.....I hear it under the note....drives me batty....but that said, a P90 does have a special growl to the listener who is unaware..

4. ventura

ventura Member

It's this baby right here... 3rd made in 2002 according to the SN. All original.
    Thoughts?? Asking USD$2500 and there's some wriggle room there. Mint. And as for the pups, I'd swap 'em out for a set of BKP or similar P90s and keep the stock for resale.

image3.jpeg

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

nice dark board ....see if he will take 1850....then see what he counters with....no more than 1900

6. FKO

FKO Senior Member

R6 is probably the least popular choice in the reissue lineup. With the market flooded with R8s and R9s; unless the price is right, you are looking at a low resale with low liquidity.

I won't pay anything near $2500 tho...

7. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

might be a Brazilian?

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

7uck I love you low ballers.

Simple, it is a 2002, not many made that year. If it is a good R6 it is worth $2,250 as a keeper.

If you don’t like the noise use the Volume Knob. If you love the Guitar but still have an issue with the noise & don’t know how to use your Volume Knob then change PU’s or install an Illitch System.

If on the other hand this is a speculator because Guitars are such a great “investment” (not) then offer $1.20 & then you’ll definitely make a profit.

Good luck.

Seriously though The right Set of P90’s in a great Guitar is arguably the best there is (thanks again Jamman).

:cheers2:

KBMelb and FKO like this.
  9. FKO

FKO Senior Member

$1.20... I'd say that's a good figure to start with... lol

RAG7890 likes this.
  10. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I wouldn't put too much thought into the idea of the value of these increasing if the Custom Shop shuts down or they stop making these. There are just so many already made that I don't think that should play into it.

I would say that $2500 is on the high side, but below $2K would be a steal (and pretty unlikely). I think Rudi has it just about right. I was going to say $2100-$2200.

Good luck!

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

What the last two guys said....

12. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Gibson will fall and there will be no more, owners will be careful selling what they have so its good investment, i say go for it and no need to hackle as the price will go up:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. ventura

ventura Member

Got it - dead mint - $2300USD - all tags and case candy - COA - etc.
    Thing plays amazingly well and am noticing some potential BRW spidering/colouring - red-coffee colour - fingerboard. Electronics are silent, perfect frets, I have no idea if this was played much ever. Anyway - super stoked - feels great - sounds open and chewing and gnarly - and is on the lighter side for weight. Rings beautifully - buttery to play.

Pumped. Keeper. Done.
    Pics to follow.
    :D

14. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Congrats! That's a decent price for a keeper! Looking forward to the pics! Enjoy!

15. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

I've never thought noise was an issue with my B4 (Staple/P-90). Maybe it's because I rarely have the volume all the way up. IMO Humbuckers sound a little limp and don't have the harmonic ascending/descending roar the p-90s do.

endial likes this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Me neither I don’t have any issues with my P90’s where’re low or higher volume.

:cheers2: