[Help] Volume Pedal placement for 2 amps.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by gibsonislove, Feb 23, 2012.

1. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

Dear All!

Currently, I'm having a bunch of pedals in between my les paul and my Boogie Roadking, and then having a Volume pedal in the loop coz i don't want the volume pedal to scoop my drive when i have it volume down.

and then, i'm going to sell my Road king, and have a dual amp set up.
    My future set up will be:

Distortion : JCM800
    Clean and Overdrive: Supersonic Twin

Here's the question, i want the V-Pedal to be in the loop coz i want to maintain the drive when i turn the volume down, but then, i need the V-pedal to be in BOTH the JCM800 and the Superseonic twin.

how to archive that? my Korg Volume pedal has 2 input and 2 output, do i just connect the each of the input output to the FX to the JCM and the SUpersonic's send and return ???

Thanks a lot guys!

2. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

bump ! anyone!?

3. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Huh? Your post is confusing.

If you want a single volume setting per amp, then get a single mono volume pedal, per amp.

If you want a single volume setting for 2 amps, use the Korg.

Anyways, if you have the setup, why don't you experiment a bit.
    Just sell the stuff off or trade it back to a store if it doesn't perform the trick for you.

4. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

BTW is this the correct signal chain?

Guitar -> FX -> Volume pedal -> A/B = Marshall / fender?

5. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

I thought you would have the volume pedal first in the FX chain!?

6. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Well, you could just get a stereo volume pedal (Ernie Ball makes one, I think) and run the loops' send amd return through the pedal, but it might affect each amp differently, depending on the gain structure of each.

7. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

let me apologize, and clarify a few things.

what i really meant was, having a clean amp, and a dirt amp, and they both have an effects loops, how do i throw the same pedals , including volume ( no duplicating) into the two loops ?

fender + delay
    switch to
    Marshall + delay

while using the same delay

and when i use the volume, it affects both the clean and the dirt amp..
    thanks a lot i know i confused things a bit.

8. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

Current setting Guitar-> FX-> Amp [ time based + volume ] in the loop

Settings in my mind: Guitar -> Fx -> Amp1 and 2 [ time based + volume ] in the loop

question is how do they share the fx in the loop??

9. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

well, yes you could, but with the volume pedal so up front the chain, it acts like a volume pot on your guitar, when you lower the volume, it takes away your treble and the gain, and that is one of the thing i avoid, so i had in in the effects loop :)

10. Marshall & Moonshine

Oh, I think I see. You want to run both amps loop sends to the same.pedals? I don't think it can be done. Mixing the preamp signal of the Fender into the preamp signal of the Marsall sounds downright dangerous to me. This signal is basically the ass end of the preamp tubes, remember. There's almost definitely going to be phasing issues. If delay is the only pedal you need to duplicate, just buy another delay pedal and run them next to each other.
    Someone had a thread about using a footswitch for the tap tempo of two delays together, and it was figured out that it's possible.
    Sometimes I find it's easiest to draw it out on a piece of paper (remember that old stuff? :lol:) and the big problems tend to jump out at you and are much more easily solve.
    I just think that mixing the preamp outputs would be kin to crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. I think Egon described it as problematic. Like, end of the world problematic.
    I could be wrong.

11. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

so even i have a stereo in/output volume pedal and connected them to the send/return of both amps won't do the trick, because it will cause both amps signal run into each other EVEN i A/B-ed the signal , right?

not good.

maybe i just have to run all the FX in front of the amp , bypass both amp's FX loops and get a volume pedal that won't suck the treble and gain while i put in front, is there such a volume pedal exist?

12. Marshall & Moonshine

If you run a stereo delay, it should work in the loop with a stereo volume pedal. My main point was not to join the two amp's signals together with an A/B/Y box or something, then split them back up with another.
    I'm not really a delay guy, but I think most "stereo" delays are really wet/dry, not two separate affected signals, if that makes sense. So I think the delay effect would only be coming out of the "wet" output of the pedal, which to me, sounds like only one amp would be repeated.
    I could have this all wrong, but I honestly think the easiest way would be buying another delay, and the stereo volume pedal.
    What delay do you have?

13. Marshall & Moonshine

I seem to be posting all sorts of stuff tonight without reading what was read....
    Ummm.... Are you sure the 800 has a loop?? Because Marshall didn't install one.
    My recommendation to start off with would be this:
    Guitar, front effects, a/b/y, marshall. Marshall send, vp, marshall return. From the other outlet of the a/b/y, fender, fender send, vp, time based effects.
    Basically, run your marshall for dry dirt. You can always add another delay, but you have everything you need to do this now.
    Except the amps, apparently.
    ;)

14. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

Eventide TimeFactor and a Modfactor , too.

problem is my Dirt amp is pure distortion, so say if i'm using the fender amp with delay, will the loop cause the Marshall amp produce sound too? in that case, the marshall amp will produce wet distortion sound, and that is not what i want when i'm intended on playing clean. right?

Thank you so much for spending your time with me here.

15. Marshall & Moonshine

Eventide?? You impress me, sir! This may just be doable yet, bit I'm just basing that on "Eventide! **** yeah!!!" I'm guessing it's stereo. Check its manual and find out.
    Don't give up, but don't jump any guns either. Just make sure the two amps' signals never actually interface.
    Dig into that book. Email the Eventide support, if you're not sure.

16. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

I'm just throwing this out 'cause it's early in the morn and I should be asleep but…
    Why not just guitar-vol-delay-ab/y-amps.
    If you're pushing that(what model/year is that JCM?) Marshall's front end,you will pnly really get a signicant boost in a loop anyway,but…I truly can only see more problems than benefits arising when paired up with your other clean amp.
    So,an ab/y straight into the front of both may be the best and easiest route…

1 person likes this.
  17. gibsonislove

gibsonislove Member

thanks for the reply.
    yes, i think that is the simplist way, but i do really wanna keep the volume in the loop because volume pedal in front will kill the gain/treble when in volume down...

18. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

Nice. That clarifies a lot.

BTW Its better to keep a delay in a loop of an amp.

So:

Guitar to delay to AB Switch to Fender OR Marshall

Get 2 seperate mono volume pedals, keep the volume pedals in the loop of each amp.

This is what you mean? That way Delay will affect both amps, by switching with AB,
    but you can set volume per amp.

IN CASE of no loop on marshall, set a volume pedal after the AB switch on the marshall side of the switch. This will affect gain, so you might just want to set the volume on the Gain amp and keep it at that.

Hope this helps

19. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

BTW if the delay is stereo and you get volume level differences per amp, it might be wise to get a buffer w/ volume after the Delay pedal, so you can set the volume accordingly. This might also be helpfull with your tone. Keep in mind that all the cables accumalated and the switches will load down your guitar signal. So a buffer in front of the fx chain and at the end might be a clever choice to get some clean and clear signal passing trough :)

This might be TL;DR, but I'm trying to think ahead to see which problems you might encounter ;)

20. onioner

onioner Senior Member

I think it's been said, but a stereo pedal should work just fine. Don't know any stereo volume pedals, but the Hardwire Delay I have is both stereo, and will 'ping-pong' the delays if you use both outputs.

Sounds like you want to use a volume pedal purely for volume control, which means in the loop, and you want to be able to turn both on or off at the same time, which means stereo pedal.

1 person likes this.