help!!!tonal emergency!!!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by terence_tez, Aug 27, 2007.

1. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

help!!!does anyone else own a zoom g7.1ut?or have lots of experience playin through multi fxs?cant seem to get a decent tone.i play it through a laney practicee amp at home n its not too bad.quite satisfyin actually.but durin band practice,it absolutely sound like crap through a marshall stack.:wtf:

2. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

You described the problem in the first several words.

Zoom = no tone.

3. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well I'm a fan of Zoom processors. However, I used to suffer the same problem with them until I realised I was over-using the effects. I tended to have everything on full. Just take some of the settings down and you'll see a big difference.

4. terence_tez

thanks nugget...i'll try it tonite...anyway i use to think tat zoom sucks...but after hearin lots of rave reviews abt the g series,i decided to try...it really sounds quite alright on my amp though..

5. terence_tez

by the way,r there really no one else using the zoom g7.1ut unit?

6. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I remember many years ago playing a gig using a Zoom 9030. It sounded fantasic to me but a guitarist in the crowd told me that my sound was shit from where he was standing. Naturally I told him to piss off back to his Boss pedals. However, I never gorgot what he said and he was actually spot-on. In the end, i waited until my neighbours were away and then cranked the amp up and tuned the Zoom in at gig levels. Wish I still had that 9030.

7. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

Never heard of it....for the classic Rock, blues and country I play and use:

RIBFDR or Music man 2x10 62w combo
    Keeley modified Boss Blues Overdrive
    Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
    Cry baby Wah

That's it...until last year the only effect I used was a 1980 MXR Distortion box...that's it...I've always felt effects were way over the top and the right guitar with the right tube amp and a little reverb is all you really needed...

unless you were into the Police and the crappy 80's music with the syths and all sorts of shit needed to get the Top 40 sounds...flangers, phasers, and God knows what else...

8. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Most all of us would ike a thicker fatter sound but I agree with fish use as few effects as possible and drive the amp as hard as u can it seems the more efects I use the worse the sound......Im not against them I just dont care much for them. I dont care much for a clean sound either (just me) I like the driven dirty sound. We all have our tastes.
    JW

9. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I have watched guys who spent more time toe tapping their effects than actually playing and feeling what they do take some guys effects away and they cant play straight from guitar to a decent amp! I began mostly without effects I have had four Wah pedals , sold em all , MXR Phase 45 way back in the 70s for a short , tossed that also, TS 9, and a MXR Six band Graphic is the only effects I have used with any consistancy, I do own a Zoom 505 thats now on the fritz, there maybe one orginal tone left in it, I re programmed the rest for just drive/ distortion type sounds so I could get decent like tones even if I went straight to a PA from it
    My thinking was effects are somewhat like a small added bit of spice you might add to the dish you are cookin, wont work for every recipe If you cant cull decent sounds from your axe straight to amp, Maybe its time to start all over again?