[HELP] SS Amp + Tube Amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Thiago, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

I don't NEED it. I don't make music for a living.
    Maybe you, sir, are not aware of this model, the Tiny Terror, specifically. It's got some limitations regarding gain, channels and EQ. And as soon as I don't see the need of getting ANOTHER amp, and the fact that I'm not happy with the one I've got, I can't see any problems on the fact that I wanna change it.
    I just WANT it. And I don't see any laws stopping me from pursuing what I want.
    So, thank you for your kind and helpful words. I'm sorry I offended your very experienced and aged skills and I hope my explanation clarified my reasons for you.
    Cheers!

2. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I think all blues_man_zep meant is that most of us consider the Orange TT to be a high gain amp and can't imagine wanting more. And you have to admit, it was a funny comment. :D There are definitely different needs for different people though, and one should pursue what they desire tonally.

I haven't played the HT-20 myself but I have enjoyed the HT-5. The reviews of the HT-20 have generally been positive. For the money they are hard to beat. The HT-5 is built like a tank, so I would expect the HT-20 to be as well. If you like the tone after trying it out, go for it. It would probably be a good contrast to the Orange.

As for pedals, that would give you more gain from your existing amp but I get where you are coming from. I'm not adverse to using pedals myself, but rather am too lazy to dig them out! I recently picked up a reverb pedal, though I'm waiting for the amp I want to use it with to arrive (low wattage with an effects loop.) I too prefer the tone to come primarily from the amp, but a pedal can help tweak your sound to exactly where you want it. Generally they cost less than another amp too, hence the number of pedal recommendations. For high gain territory, many use pedals to get there. Buying a new amp is definitely more fun though!

David

1 person likes this.
  3. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

It would be a very funny comment if not for the "Kids these days" part... Just "sounded" offensive and the kind of usual cliche comment from a person trying to play the mature one.

Back to the subject, thank you for your help!

I tried some pedals believing they would work as a boost to my gain. They did buy added also their own character to the sound, killing the greatness of the amp.

I'm really happy with the TT but I just need that little extra power to play smothing like Crazy Train, for exemple!

I also play a P90 Les Paul and adding a pedal to this equation means adding more noise too!

Any suggestions? I really like the neck P90 on my guitar and I never play it dirty. The bridge P90 I am planning to change for a P-90-shaped Super Distortion or something which is gonna give me some more gain and less noise since I almost only play it dirty.

4. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

If you want an affordable high gain METAL rig, try Laney Ironheart

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyallkRbBEs[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  5. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

Thakn you Bigneil! I'll search around here in Brazil to check the prices! That sounds pretty good although the clean channel isn't quite THE thing.

6. Neemo

Neemo Senior Member

My buddy and I ran an old Marshall lead 12 from the headphone jack to the power amp in of a fender blues deluxe.... Worked good...

I don't think it would be a good idea to go into your guitar input ... I dunno for sure though

Does the tiny terror have an effects loop?