[HELP] SS Amp + Tube Amp

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Thiago, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

What is up people?

This may be a dumb question but I'm not really into amo stuff and I'm afraid I can break my amp.

I've got an Orange Tiny Terror and I wanted to get some more drive out of it.
    It happens that there's a cheap solid state Staner Kute 20 amp from when I first started learning and I was wondering If I could use it as if it was a pedal. It's got an equalizer, a button which activates distortion with level and volume knobs and a master volume knob.

Will I screw my Orange if I do this?

If safe, do I plug my guitar on the regular input on the Staner, then a cable from the Staner output the the regular Orange input? What about the master volume on the Staner? What about the gain on the Orange and the distortion levels on the Staner? Is there a safe level or is it up to my taste?

It's silly and for most of you it is probably simple but I just don't wanna harm my Orange!

Tank you guys!

2. cherryles

cherryles Senior Member

[​IMG]

I like your thinking :)

I wont hazard a guess though, maybe others on here can advise :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

The MacGyver thing gave me a laugher!

2 people like this.
  4. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Your best bet is to get an OD or Distortion pedal that you like and use it. I would get the Jekyl and Hyde combo pedal, that would do nicely for you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I wouldn't put a hot output from a power amp into another amp's input. Use the "Preamp Out" or "Effects-loop Send".

I don't know that the hot output would cook anything, but I can't imagine it being good for your preamp.

2 people like this.
  6. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

I have heard of amp slaving, which involves running a tube amp into an ss amp, but I am not sure of the details (that's mostly too so you can crank the tube amp to get gain but at low volumes). This sounds like a twist on it, lol. I know some amps like my old ss cube have a recording out/ headphones option, and maybe if your amp has a similar type of output it could possibly used safely (I never tried doing it, so I don't know).

1 person likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

this is what pedals were made for... not amps. I say don't do it...

get a pedal, something like an OCD or tubescreamer clone will be pretty transparent, but push harder.... if you are already running at high volumes and want more power tube distortion, then you can run a clean boost like a mxr micro amp... but this will be more subtle... but be even more transparent...

what kind of gain sound are you looking for? like who are you trying to emulate that the tiny terror isn't giving enough gain?

1 person likes this.
  8. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Don't do it - running the speaker out of one amp into the input of another amp. Don't.

Get a pedal, or turn up the volume instead.

9. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Unless you like the look of the blue smoke and the subsequent fried electronics smell, don't do it.

Amplifier inputs are designed to handle very low level signals - millivolts...............not the output wattage of another amp.

Get a pedal.

10. 12watt

12watt Senior Member

That would be a very bad idea from the loudspeaker output. The headphone socket would probably work if you keep the volume level down on the Kute 20. It will sound bloody awful though, I can pretty much guarantee it.

Don't know how long you've had the Tiny Terror but a swap/part exchange for Dark Terror would get you more gain.

2 people like this.
  11. michael2003x

michael2003x Senior Member

It will actually work but using the distortion or eq will probably sound quite bad. If you're running the TT into the SS input , you wont damage the TT. Just be sure there is a load for the amps or you will blow a fuse or output stage......it's easy to forget load when you are shuffling amps around.

12. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

When you're talking about the output of the Staner, do you mean the output to the speaker? If so, DO NOT PUT THIS INTO YOUR ORANGE!!! Do not do it. You will break your Orange!!!!

The signal that your guitar produces is extremely small, and the Orange expects a very small signal. That's why you have an amplifier to begin with; it amplifies your signal to drive a speaker. The signal being fed to the speaker is quite large; orders of magnitude larger than the signal that left your guitar, in fact. It will break your amp.

If you have a line-level Line Out from the Staner, that might work...but I might want to check what the signal looks like on an Oscilloscope before I went shoving it into the Tiny Terror if I were you. But I bet it'll sound like ass, anyway.

13. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

THIS!!! Probably break both amps, but it'd definitely break the Orange. NEVER run anything from a speaker out to anything other than a speaker or attenuator.

Only way would work would be if both amps have effects loops. You could run the effects send from the SS amp to the return of the Orange. But this isn't going to help your situation. If they do both have effects loops, you should be able to send the signal from the Orange to the SS amp and be able to control the volume on the SS amp, but it's probably going to be pretty crappy. Plus, you'll still have to have a speaker load of some sort on the Orange.

Best to just push the Orange with a boost pedal and / or get an attenuator so you can crank it, but really with it already having a master volume, an attenuator isn't going to change much.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jack's back

Jack's back Senior Member

Running the speaker out into the Orange will have bad results. IF you have a line out from the Staner, OK, IF the Staner has an Fx loop, you can run the Staner Fx send to the Orange Fx return. Some headphones out will also work safely, but it's best to find the Staner's documentation about it.
    Best and safest option is to buy a pedal.

15. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

Thank all of you guys for the responses. I'm sorry I didn't reply before. I'm so used to only looking at the main Les Paul forum I kinda forgot about this thread.
    I am pretty satisfacted with the tone of the TT although sometimes I miss a bit more gain but I would like to run as less stuff as possible, I mean guitar + amp. I was just curious to give it a try to see what happened and it worked. The output is named Pre Out and it bypasses the master volume of the SS Staner. It didn't break my Orang but the resulting sound was BAD hahaha! There could be heard almost only the Staner tone, no Orange.

I'm saving up to buy a high gain amp since a Les Paul (specially the P90s) through the clean TT is like heaven!

I just don't think I need two amps since I only play at home and like to go simple so I'm thinking about selling the TT and buying a Blackstar Studio HT 20 or, as mentioned above, changing parts to go Dark.

Option 1 - is the HT20 a really versatile amp? Will I be able to get a clean tone which is close to the clean TT? I know they will never sound equal, but if I can get something close, which I believe it's possible given the stuff it has like a decent EQ and the ISF thing, it's enough for me.

Option 2 - what should I do/change on my TT to make it a Dark Terror? Is it reliable? Isn't it gonna be too messy so it's preferable to sell it and get a Dark Terror?

I really can't tell how helpful you've been and how thankful I am! I'm gonna record some sound clips as soon as I get this solved, it's the least I can do!

Cheers!

16. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

That was one of the things I mentioned, and as I mentioned, it's not going to sound good. ;) You're basically just taking the preamp signal of the Staner and amplifying it with the Orange power amp section. All (95%) the tone of an amp comes from the preamp.

It's a very modern sounding amp. The cleans though are great.

1 person likes this.
  17. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Why don't you get a pedal? There are muriad distortion, overdrive, and boost options to satisfy just about any pallet, and that way, you don't give up the TT tones you know and love.

18. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

Thank you! Never doing that s**t again! :laugh2:

19. Thiago

Thiago Senior Member

As I mentioned before, not that I have anything against pedals, I just don't want anything more than my guitar and the amp. Well there's just one thing: the cable! :D

Anyways, I read a lot and watched a lot of reviews on the HT20. I believe I'm sold on it for now! I'm already selling my TT.

Any other amps on the price range and characteristics of the HT20?

Thank you guys! Cheers!

20. blues_man_zep

blues_man_zep Senior Member

You have an orange and need more distortion......................:facepalm: Kids these days

1 person likes this.