Help out the new guy...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Johnny Guitar, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Johnny Guitar

Johnny Guitar Junior Member

So I'm getting tired of paying so much just for a frikin setup so I've started doing them myself. I've been doing pretty good but I just put new strings on my Lester (2017 Gibson Traditional T) but when adjusting the saddles, the low E, and the b saddles are moved all the way back (away from pickups) and the 12th fret note and harmonic is STILL pretty sharp. And the higher up on the neck you go the worse it gets. The saddles are turned flat side facing tailpiece so its as far back as theyll go. How do I fix this? Will adjusting the height of the bridge or tailpiece help? I noticed the lower string side of the tailpiece is pretty high so I'll lower that anyways. HELPPP

2. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

A couple of things I always check first.....the height of the nut slots. You don't want them too high. Then I drop the pickups real low to take any magnetic anomalies out of the equation.
    If the guitar was intonated before, it will again!

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

New strings always read sharper than when they finally stretch and settle it. The problem is the way it shoots over the bridge saddle in an arc. Once the string is dead straight it reads true. The thicker the string, the sharper it reads....so Low E is worst. Kink the string at the saddle by pushing down on it on each side of the saddle. This will make it read 4-6 cents flatter.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017