Help on authenticating Gibson LP

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Joziasse, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Joziasse

Joziasse Junior Member

Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to the identifying of a genuine Gibson, but I have learned a thing or two. Yesterday I stumbled upon this ad for a Gibson Les Paul Special + Custom, supposedly from 2003, and I could'nt really pinpoint the model with the dot position markers and some kind of elliptical inlay on the 12th fret.

Can anyone identify this as being a genuine USA Gibson, of defraud this thing? Any info will be much appreciated!

The link: http://fr.kapaza.be/vi/75511812.htm?ca=1_s

Kind regards

Joziasse

ps: I've seen many beautiful guitars on this forum, very nice

2. politenessman

politenessman Senior Member

i am not great at this, but that is not any kind of custom. the pictures look like they were taken with a radio, but the neck looks like it has a scarf joint a few inches up from the body.

1 person likes this.
  3. Joziasse

Joziasse Junior Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the pictures are suspiciously fuzzy. Nevertheless, on the headstock you can read 'Special', while the trussrod cover says 'Custom'. You say it's no custom - this has to do with the neckjoint?

If so, the trussrod cover would have to be taken off another guitar for it to still be a genuine Gibson, I gather. It would be an odd thing to do.

4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

It's not a Les Paul Custom. It's a self-customized Les Paul Special. I'm guessing the 12th fret inlay is a sticker, and the back of the neck has been sanded. But no way I would buy based on the fuzzy pictures, who knows what he's trying to hide.

5. Stormin1155

Stormin1155 Member

Better pictures are in order. In particular, close-ups of the neck, front and back; headstock, front and back; and the bridge. I've never seen a LP appointed like that one.

6. Farquad

Farquad Double Platinum Supporter

Definitely want to see better pics. That said, my buddy has a satin black special with humbuckers that looks like this, dot inlays and all. My guess is that someone sanded the back of the neck to make it smoother, but as others have mentioned it could be a neck swap. The price is also high. I think my buddy picked his up used for ~$450.

7. Joziasse

Joziasse Junior Member

Hi

Thanks for the help everyone. There's some more info I got from the seller yesterday: it is not an official custom, he says. It is a les paul special faded ebony. The neck has the wood laid bare. He says it had a paintjob at this point in the mail, so it's unclear to me whether that's about the neck only, or the whole body. Seller also says the serial number checks out, dates it to day 351, 2003 in Nashville production.

Hm

8. Joziasse

Joziasse Junior Member

Oh yes, and the humbuckers are replacements, Seymour Duncans, but seller is unable to tell which kind since they were in there when he bought it. I know SD has zebra kinds like these of the Pearly Gates, that would be nice ofcourse - but there's nothing to read on the front in the pictures but the brandname.

9. Joziasse

Joziasse Junior Member

Just received some more info: seller says the trussrod cover saying 'Custom' was added by the previous owner. And it had a post-factory paintjob (except for the front of the headstock) with nitrocellulose lacquer of some kind.

10. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

The 'scarf joint' looks more like they stripped the finish from the back of the neck and left the V pattern for some ascetic reason.

They really need to find something better to take pictures with rather then using a potato. It's grainy because they don't have enough light in the room.

I'm gonna agree that it's a Special Faded model. The Specials had the dot inlay.