HELP! New guitar - neck pickup severely tilted towards the bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SoCal Flood, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Just bought a 2018 Tribute gold top today to give to my father tonight for his 65th birthday. Brought it home to set it up and oil the fret board and noticed the pickup is really tilted. Just to clarify, not tilted towards the bass or treble side, but rather it's MUCH higher towards the neck and lower towards the bridge. Is this normal? How can i fix it? I've never removed or adjusted pickups before but i'm happy to try.

I have 45 minutes before i need to present the guitar to him at his birthday dinner. Please help!

IMG_9755.JPG IMG_9757.JPG

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

2 minutes past presentation time... did you get it fixed?

I would have pressed down on the higher side to feel if its binding or stuck.

Most times I've seen the covers are a little bowed out underneath and they catch the wood in the cavity.

3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I know I'm late, but I'd do what Chasen posted. The top row, with bending of the tabs, not the foam. Nothing wrong with the foam, I just wouldn't want to bother fiddling with how much foam to use.

To do the job, Capo the first fret, loosen the strings at the tuners. You'll probably get to reuse the strings, if you're careful. Wind out enough string to remove the tailpiece (if you're lucky enough to have that much available to unwind off the tuner). The capo keeps it all from going SPROING at the tuners.

Remove the four screws holding in the pickup ring. Be VERY careful. use a screwdriver that fits VERY well. Don't slip, and hit the guitar. Don't twist the head off the screw if it's tight in the wood.

Then follow the diagram for which way to bend the tabs on the pickup.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  5. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

well, i know your replies got posted after 'presentation' time, but i'd be willing to bet your pop is one happy camper. obviously you would want it to be perfect when he got it, but i'd bet that's a small detail he won't mind working out after such a fine gift. well done. all we need now is you to post him tearing loose with it.

SoCal Flood and Who like this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

I second the preacher's comments! I'm gonna bet that no bending is needed and it's simply the pickup wire, either bunched up or bent a little wonky under the pup! If he's 65 and deserves such a great guitar, I'm gonna guess that by now, he knows and revels in how to tweak and twiddle on the simple stuff of making guitars all that they can be! What amp does he use to play through?

I love that the fingerboard has no binding and it's one of the things that has endeared the previous "Studio line" of guitars to me! Simply Go-Jus, and I'm sure he's proud to have such generous and thoughtful offspring!

Good On You! :thumb: :cool:
    Gene

SoCal Flood likes this.
  7. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Thanks for the input guys! He was speechless (which isn't common for him) and loves his new Lester! He didn't even notice the tilted pickup. I'll get to work on it tomorrow to straighten it out. Other than that the fret board darkened up nicely with some oil and I got it setup and playing really great. It was my first complete guitar setup so I'm stoked about it. Not sure if it's this specific guitar or the tributes in general but it's just really easy to play it. In fact we played so much tonight I forgot to take some photos. I'll follow up with photos soon I promise.

To be honest I wasn't that into gold tops before this as I thought they all looked the same but I gotta say with one in my hands tonight there's something special about them. Since he was born in '52 getting him a gold top just seemed right.

@TheBallzz asked about amps... he's currently got a Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 but it's not practical for his home playing and he doesn't gig so it's overkill. He's also got an R9 but it's a closet queen. He's still a novice player, he just likes to get the best of everything and as amazing as it is his guitar/amp combo just wasn't ideal for him (yet). So my intention was to get him setup with a guitar/amp combo he'd be more likely to play more frequently. I got him the Tribute along with a Fender champion 600 (with upgraded tubes) as a more practical home setup to noodle around and improve with. He really only plays jazz tunes and light folky rock. He doesn't need to treat the Tribute with kid gloves like the R9 and the weight relief will be easier on him too. All in all tonight was a great success and just another example of how special LPs are!

charisjapan likes this.
  8. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Awesome, thank you

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Don't be too obsessed with the pickup being level.....I'd be trying to see what the tone is like flat vs angled rather than the OCD about height evenness.

SoCal Flood and Who like this.
  10. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I hope I can play with my daughter one day.. One for my bucket list.

Congrats on the guitar

SoCal Flood likes this.
  11. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thats such an awesome gift to give to your Dad.

I dont know you or your dad, but this post warmed my heart :)

fatdaddypreacher likes this.
  12. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

If you can rock the pickup back and forth it may just be that, the adjustment springs are upside down. Congratulations to your Dad for his Goldtop and you for being a great son. :thumb:

[​IMG]