Help needed: is this too good to be true...?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Hector Arcadius, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Hey guys,

I need your assistance for an add that certainly seems too good to be true. And I am aware that when this is the case, 90% of the times there is a catch and things end up not being what they seem. Please check the add on the below link and tell me what I am looking at here:

https://www.bazaraki.com/adv/1765822_fender-stratocaster/

I will check out the guitar in person today. I called the seller and claims that the guitar is 100% made in USA, she put it together a few years back but never learned to play, so the guitar is practically brand new. I know that I am looking at a very nice birds-eye maple neck, with Deluxe inlays and it says Custom Shop on the back of the headstock ( :drool: :hmm: :run: ). However, there is a 6-screw bridge (as it looks) and there is no Custom Shop case but only a gigbag. As per the seller, the guitar does not have a serial number (?), since it was "put together for her in the US".

The asking price, let's get clear on that, is definitely worth it for the neck alone, around where I live. Still, the whole guitar is a mystery for me.

Can you please shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

2. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

hey,

so i could well be wrong, but the spacing of the dot inlays at fret 12 doesnt look right. they seem too far apart like found on import necks. also not sure why the fender decal and made in USA would be smudged if they are still under the lacquer.

my vote is partscaster with a decal applied. i do not think this is genuine fender.

but the best check, seller permitting, take the neck off and check the heel stamp markings and the body stamps. that is the surest way to be sure.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  3. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Skip it. The headstock shape doesn't even look 100% I would not do business unless a seller very clearly states it has a MityMite neck with an F logo- or whatever. But at that price, it is obviously no CS.

Not sure why you think the neck is so valuable. It looks non-Fender to me- and at best, an import. But who would take the time to refinish an import neck.

4. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

"... is this too good to be true...?"

Yes.

5. Hector Arcadius

Cheers, thanks for the input guys! Since I do not need a new S-type guitar so badly, I think I will pass. If it was a MIA body & neck, I would be all over it since I am in the market for a super-strat and that would be a good candidate for the price. But if we're dealing with a fake, I won't even waste my time.

Much appreciated.

Who likes this.
  6. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

Not 100% made in USA.

1. No USA neck has a plastic truss rod insert. Not one. MIM, yes, but there aren't any birdseye/abalone necks coming from Mexico. That there is a Mighty Mite neck.
    2. The Fender decal is worn/rubbing off. You won't see that on any current USA models. Custom shop, maybe, but this ain't that.
    3. Custom Shop decal. People love to put these on fakes. Don't know why, but this ain't that. See above.
    4. Sperzel tuners. This neck has had Sperzels on from day one. No string tree is a dead giveaway. Fender doesn't use Sperzels, but they do install string trees on every production USA guitar. Even the ones with Fender/Schaller locking tuners.
    5. Neck plate has a hole for the Micro-Tilt, but the body doesn't.
    6. '62 style screw hole spacing on the guard. You only see that on '62 reissues, and this ain't that.
    7. USA pickups will be cast plastic or stamped fiber bobbins with magnetized alnico pole pieces. I betcha those have one or two ceramic magnets glued to the bottom of a plastic bobbin.
    7. Can't tell for sure, but the bridge saddles look like the narrow MIM style.

Ask if you can pop the hood or remove the neck. If the body looks like this it's MIM. If there's center hole all the way through the neck pocket it's Squier or some UFO Asian thing.

It might be a decent guitar, but it ain't as advertised.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

PASS!!!!!!!

8. Hector Arcadius

That's why I love MLP community so much! You guys have a wealth of knowledge and you freely share it. I already passed on the deal, this is certainly not what I was looking or hoping for.

9. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

I'll bet there's not a single genuine Fender part on that.

10. tigger

tigger Senior Member

I believe this is not fully correct, there was a batch of guitars made in the US but only for export at some point in the late 90's I think that had plastic truss rod inserts. You sometimes see them on eBay and ad sites in Europe. I don't remember the exact story but when I researched one it seemed that they would be of inferior quality to regular MIA guitars of the time.

11. tigger

tigger Senior Member

I think the body could be a Highway 1 (pre-2006) body. It's transparent red, seems matte and 3 piece..

12. marksoundguitars

Maybe, but not birdseye with abalone. Definitely not for US sale. The closest was the Korea-built Lite Ash series. Not USA made.

I attached a link to the Mighty Mite neck that matches the one on the guitar in question.

So, in my best Alex Trebek voice, "Ooh, sorry." ;)

13. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

Not true - Eric Johnson models have no string trees:

[​IMG]

14. mbafmike

mbafmike V.I.P. Member

Not only them, American Deluxe HSS Stratocasters also come without string trees....

[​IMG]

15. Hector Arcadius

OP here.

Theoretically, if this is a full-size body routed for a humbucker at the bridge, either MIA or MIM, with a nice looking Mighty Mite neck (plus the Spetzel tuners), it would be a pretty good candidate for the super-strat project I have in mind, at a not-so-bad-price. This is the case, even if I was to yank all the electronics. All I would need is a new humbucker, electronics & pickguard.

But then again... for 300 euros I can buy a superstrat-style guitar with the pickup & bridge features that I want, which would give me a fully playable guitar and then allow me in the future to upgrade when / if required to better pickups. I think I did well to pass on the deal. It does not seem like a bad deal for someone looking for an affordable Strat, just, not for me at the moment.

Again, thanks for the input guys.

16. marksoundguitars

Noted and logged.

17. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Never again. I bought a partscaster where the neck was worth less than the cost to fix it. Everything looked great. But it was unplayable. OK- if you love doing your own work- but even then: know what you are working with. Life is too short to polish turds.

18. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

It's possible, but since everything else about it is fake, I'm guessing it's not.

19. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

Mine has no string trees but it is a fender strat plus. This one that you are looking at is a frankenstrat constructed from bits and bobs she has picked up. I would not touch it.

20. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

I dunno that Fender Corona backplate looks genuine :)