Help needed '62 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by KNAC, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

I have a chance to buy '62 SG. Haven't seen the guitar in person yet. There is something in the pics that tell me run away. I'm not an expert with SG's so please have a look.

Also both pups have clearly been off and pup covers doesn't have virgin joints. There seems to be plugged holes in the upper horn, cloud have been overspayed after plugging?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. depuis1899

depuis1899 Senior Member

Neck joint looks legit for those years. Headstock and harness as well.
    Covers have been off 100%, curious to know if these are still original PAF's.
    Tuners might ( I say might as I cant really see it well ) been replaced.
    Otherwise the guitar looks 'fine' too me.

what do the pot codes say?
    And what makes you think you should run away from it?

3. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Tuners are single line/double ring so those are period correct at least. Hard to tell if PAF's are original or not. In a worst case scenario covers off means rewound.

I tend to be careful with vintage gear. Those little color variations near headstock and neck heel joint bothers me a bit.

4. depuis1899

depuis1899 Senior Member

Color could be many reasons, but really hard to tell if you can't see the guitar yourself.
    The guitar overall looks to be period correct, but best would be to see it of course.
    Looks like she has been played extensively for years and then stored away for decades

5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The tuners have probably been replaced by replicas. That is because the original tuning keys would have "rotted" even with a case queen. (I know because I have an SG Standard I bought in Nov. '61.) So it is normal if the tuners are not original. Without a serial number, can't say more.

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Tuners could definitely be repros..kinda new looking.

This probably had Grovers on it at one time. Odd how the headstock face isn't shown..as the washers leave circular dents..

7. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

How about a full frontal shot?? :)
    I know it will have nothing to do with dating it. I just want to see it!! :thumb:

8. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Didn't pull the trigger yet. Back of the neck is re-sprayed with clear lacquer.

Couple front shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is my '63 SG and I'm wondering if I should swap this one to '62. IMO '63 has nicer color but PAF's are gone, neck heel has been repaired and tuners are changed.

[​IMG]

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I'll be darned..looks to me to be SLIGHT Grover Dents..when pic is blown up, I swear I see the ring around the Kluson bushing:
    [​IMG]

So TOTALLY possible these could be the original keys, wisely saved when the Grovers were installed..
    then when re-installed, would be much cleaner and not match the age of the guitar..they are damn clean.
    Would love to see two things, the peg head hole with the tuner removed, (to see if reamed), and a tuner close up, and the underside of one would confirm if repro or not..

When looking at them online, it's too easy to get burned, so I always ask to see the underside of the tuners...to see the PAT# of the Kluson.

If it had the PAT#, then damn, those are almost new looking, so if not repros, era correct replacements..OR new double ring keys put on is another possibility.

10. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Strap button moved a couple times?

[​IMG]

11. 58burst

58burst Senior Member

Looks pretty good to me, all relative to the price of course. It's not pristine, price should reflect that. But if it plays good and the price is alright...

12. Dolebludger

My one-owner SG Standard is either a 61 or 62. (it seems to have a 62 serial number, but I bought it new in late November, 1961.) I came new with Kluson tuners and plastic tuning keys just like the guitar being discussed here. From personal experience I now that those tuning keys deteriorate, shrink, become brittle, and break after several decades.For this reason, I had to replace the original tuners with identical, aged tuners in 2009. My point here is that it is going to be next to impossible to find a guitar of this age and model with original tuners.

Also these early SG Standards were (and are) notorious for neck breakage. So it is difficult to find one without a history of neck repair.

13. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Thanks for comments.

Negotiations are currently on hold. If seller will meet my offer I'll go check the guitar.

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I bought that very same guitar in Lincoln, Nebraska 1966 at Dietz Music, down town for $250.00 with the original? Case. It was yellow inside. It was in very good condition at that time.

Somebody stole that guitar from my mother's house while i was overseas.

15. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

This is getting interesting...I'm definitely walking away this guitar.

PM me if you think I can help you.

16. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Well not the exact herem but ibw exactly kije the ibe in the photo.

17. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

What 58burst said.:)

18. Dolebludger

What a 62 SG Standard was bought or sold for in 1966 is totally irrelevant. Back then this model guitar was absolutely hated because of the horrible trem. I tried to trade mine in for something else back then, and the store wouldn't give me one thin dime for it! But then in 2006, I had my rather mint one pro appraised for $22k. Now it has dropped to the $10K to $15K range.

19. KNAC

KNAC Senior Member

Patience was the word...She is all mine now.

Once again many thanks for your advises.

Back of the headstock didn't had any marks of Grovers. D tuner had little shims because inner rings are touching headstock.

[​IMG]

20. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Not necessarily, my tuners are all intact and original, and she wasn't a case queen. the D tuner is a bit 'tight' to turn but that's the only issue with any of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd week '62 btw...

To OP, congrats enjoy your new vintage guitar!