Help! Need advice! Ebay item not shipped: Jimmy Page / Tom Murphy $$$

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by JimmyAce2006, Dec 9, 2008.

1. yllsacky

yllsacky Senior Member

omg im felling bad for you but it seems to be getting a little brighter sooo good luck dude hope youget your money back and kick those soab's asses!:fingersx:

2. Extremerocker827

Extremerocker827 Senior Member

3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

the only update i have is that i got screwed & law enforcement will not help me & a civil suit would be pissing more money away. i have no recourse. ebay says it has been too long & because of the bank wire they won't help (they had offered 10% of the loss but backed out of the offer). ebay did give me a $500 coupon early on, which they forgot about. i did get about 25% back on it as a casualty loss on my tax return. they money laundering American "unknowingly" involved in this flim flam has said he wants to pay me the amount of the commission he took (7%). but i have not seen a penny from him & he claims he is still unemployed.

4. highenuff

highenuff Senior Member

That totally sucks...I feel for you brother.

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Rule # 1: Don't make payment by WIRE TRANSFER!!!!

Rule # 2: When in doubt as regards payment methods, refer back to Rule # 1.

6. JimmyAce2006

UPDATE: I have stayed in contact with the mule because he has told me repeatedly that he wants to repay the $1,000 that he received as a commission for laundering my $15,000. I have been writing him about once every 6 weeks to see if he got a job yet. Tried emailing him yesterday, got an undeliverable error from his internet provider. Tried calling him today. His phone has been disconnected. Looks like I get to spend $15 on an Intelius.com search & find his new number!!! Don't know if he thinks he can run & hide or what. He certainly has not forwarded any new contact info to me. I think I will find his new info so that I will be a constant reminder / irritant until he pays me.....like a bad fog, I am not going to go away.

7. Vaedur

Vaedur Member

I had a very similar thing happen to a laptop I was selling scammed by a stolen credit card.. i sent the laptop... then they took the money back from me .. only thing i spent it first so my paypal was negative 1200 bucks! lol.. i had to pay that back eventually..

Anywho.. my point is? I feel your pain.. not as much as you.. but i'm sorry..

Personally if i had the money,I'd sue him anyways, just to put him through the trouble.

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Wow - what a nasty tale of woe.
    Sorry to hear it.

Question that may have been answered previously - how did the russian scammers accumulate 500 positive transactions?
    Makes me think eBay has some culpability in this as well.

I once bought an amp and the seller/ass had labeled the amp as a 40watt amp.
    He neglected to say - 40 watt INPUT.
    The amplifiers output was 15 watts.

Power Seller et cetera.
    I complained and told eBay, all I wanted was his Power Seller/ Bid With Confidence label removed...I asked for no refund, nothing.
    Do you think they did that?

That was the LAST transaction I would ever complete through eBay.

One thing that sticks in my craw is the length of time the 'seller' took to tell you his tale of the russian scammers.
    Why the deflection about his divorce, et cetera?

I fucking hate thieves.

9. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Fender in particular labels their amps with an input power rating that sometimes fools the unsuspecting/ignorant. I can't count the number of amps I've seen on craigslist with inflated power ratings due to this misleading labeling practice. I've taken the time to notify sellers a few times but mostly it gets ignored or the response is less than polite. It pays to do your homework before you buy.

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I was 'taken' for a total of $25.
    ;)
    It was not a problem.
    Just bullshit.

Any manufacturer of electronic pieces will list input rating to get UL listed.
    But if I told you my Marshall was a 400 watt amp, you'd know I was quoting power consumption and not output.

11. generalwar

generalwar Senior Member

What a nightmare. Buyer beware next time ace. :shock:

12. 420scooter

420scooter Junior Member

wow, what a story...condolences on your loss Jimmy...any update, it has been almost a month...

13. JimmyAce2006

no update

14. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I spent the last week looking, every few hours, for an Gibson ES on ebay.
    All of a sudden the search delivered an auction that I had not seen before. But what made no sense was that it was a 3 day auction and there was only 11 hours left.

The seller set a buy it now price (but only in text) that was 1/10 of the guitar's value, and asked that you email him before bidding; and, yes, the seller did not take PayPal - only a bank wire.

When I searched the sellers prior sales there were 2 expensive guitars sold (one a Fender at $29,000) but everything else was 5 years old.

I asked eBay why I would not have seen the ad before but they had no clue. A minute later it dawned on me... that the auction probably started as something else, but then was revised.

Sure enough, when I looked at the revisions, it showed that the entire ad was revised in the last few hours - which is obviously why the search function did not find the ad earlier.

I guess when the ad is not in very long the chances of it being spotted is less.

15. 420scooter

420scooter Junior Member

well, I believe that the last you posted was that you were going to look up the "middleman" again, as he had "disappeared" or moved or something...

16. 420scooter

420scooter Junior Member

What bothers me about this story is that to me, it sounds like these fucking low lifes have a way to "hack" into ebay to get what people are looking for(in their searches) and then, like you said, it "magically" appears for you after they know what fake item to post...maybe it's not as hard as it seems it would be to me to find this information, but you would think that ebay would interested in people that are hacking into their system, right?

17. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I don't think they have a way to see what people are looking for, but they do seem to be able to acquire and doctor accounts for their needs.

Apparently this guy has done this before because when googled his email address this post on fraudulent ebay came up from a Gretschpages.com.

The Gretsch Pages: Discussions: Vintage Gretsch Guitars: Fraudulent eBay auction alert

18. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Unfortunately it's as easy as crafting a "phishing" email and voila...you have dozens of IDs & passwords of people's eBay accounts to choose from. In Jimmy's case they actually used multiple hijacked accounts to "legitimize" the seller with fake feedback. The key is the types of items the real owner of the account was selling and the time gap between the feedbacks.

19. Roadhse2

Roadhse2 Junior Member

Noob here and first post...

Having read this whole thread i will not be doing much bizz on Ebay in the future and only local Craigslist, etc., where i can meet the seller. I did take note tho of Jimmy having $22,600 in Ebay auctions running around the beginning of this thread, perhaps some of that money could be used to track down and pursue the criminals instead of donations or a group guitar build....Just a thought..

Hopefully he will get some recourse in the future and this thread will help others to be careful out there....

20. JimmyAce2006

That would be throwing more money away; could never recover it.