Help! Need advice! Ebay item not shipped: Jimmy Page / Tom Murphy $$$

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by JimmyAce2006, Dec 9, 2008.

1. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Does anyone know the name of a good attorney who has experience wrangling deadbeat sellers on ebay? I bought a 2004 Jimmy Page (Tom Murphy aged) Les Paul on ebay on Thanksgiving, nearly 2 weeks ago. I paid the guy via bank to bank wire the following day. I have been told by his bank and my bank that it cleared that day. His terms for the deal in the auction state that he will ship as soon as the payment clears. Apparently that does not hold true. He is 1-2 days delayed in replying to emails. He gave me two phone numbers; both go straight to voice mail. One of them is the number on file with ebay. And he won't return any calls. He did call me once - a week after I bought it - right after I threatened action against him. His feedback is perfect with nearly 500 feedback score. He has recently sold a few other guitars / items. I contacted a few people who left him feedback & nobody had any trouble. He told me he is going through a divorce and has been real busy and is out of town. Said he would ship the guitar via UPS overnight when he gets back Monday (today). Got an email this morning at 11:30 stating that he was flying back in 30 minutes (flight is not long from where he is coming from). Said he would go to the bank to get the guitar out of a vault, then ship the guitar today. I have not heard back from him. Called both of his phone numbers & left messages. Did not respond to any emails. I opened a case with ebay. I think I may need to hire an attorney. Anyone know someone good? Any other advice?

2. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

yikes!
    keep your fingers crossed that it's not all bullshit and that it actually gets shipped.
    How far away from you is he? You might need a lawyer from his state, etc to sue.
    You might try the police first. I don't know if this'd be civil or criminal (fraud, theft, whatever)

3. JimmyAce2006

I think it would be a 5 or 6 hour drive.

4. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

From a fellow Ace fan... STOP! Think about this for second, man.

5. guitar_randy

guitar_randy Senior Member

I don't think police could do anything.

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

They could give him a call.

I've called Ebay sellers in our county (while working detectives) and simply told them that I'd gotten a call from a buyer who is concerned that their item had not arrived yet - and that they were thinking about making a report. Both times I was assured that the item would be sent immediately, along w/ a BS excuse, of course. The buyers never called me back, so I'm assuming that having the cops call was just enough to get these slow-shippers or potential scam artists back in line.

One of them was the same deal as yours - no good phone number, no email replies. On a hunch I looked up our seller through the probation/parole roster (bingo!) - thats usually a good place to find a current working phone number. ;)

Best of luck brother - I don't know what size city your seller lives in, but if it isn't a big city w/ detectives who are backed up w/ homicides and rape cases, I'd bet that they'd be willing to make a quick phone call to help you out.

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Any news?

8. JimmyAce2006

Not yet. He has not responded.

9. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Wow. Good luck. And thanks for bringing this up, its a good heads up for the rest of us.

10. 155

155 Senior Member

youll be alright there are some sellers like this guy, not as concerned as you are to ship stuff

11. frankthomson

frankthomson Senior Member

someone w/ 100% pos @ 500 won't screw you.

...unless it was a hijacked acct/auction

relax...take a V

12. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

My guess is he's telling the truth. With 500+ 100%s he's not "wanting" to damage that. If he is going though a divorce, that can cause major brain damage.
    On another note, is there any protection with back transfers like with PayPal? Prolly not huh? Good luck, if it's not resolved by tomorrow, I'd open a case with ebay.

13. ellem52

ellem52 Senior Member

You have no idea how much of your life a divorce takes up.

I'm with you a 100% in the sense that "Your problems aren't my problems - send me my product."

But being as it's "the season" - give this guy 1 more day. He's probably a wreck and not looking to screw anyone - he knows what it feels like.

14. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

This incident makes me think twice (or maybe three times) about laying out $2-$3K for a guitar on eBay. I did just that a few months ago for my 2003 Les Paul Supreme. My seller only had 80 ratings, all positive, plus he was located across the country. However, the transaction went smoothly as promised. Was I lucky, or is JimmyAce's situation an unfortunate exception?:hmm:

15. JimmyAce2006

I initiated a recall of the wire transfer with my bank. My bank told me his bank is leaving it up to him as to whether he gives me the money. But that was a week ago before Thursday's promised to ship yesterday. He did offer a refund at the same time if I did not want to wait for the shipment. But who's to say I would not still be sitting here waiting for the refund?

16. kernelofwisdom

kernelofwisdom V.I.P. Member

Not commenting on JimmyAce's situation, because he certainly did due diligence, but there's no way I'll bid on a high dollar guitar without exchanging e-mails with the seller. From those, you can tell a lot about the person's state of mind and intentions. Usually the question I ask is one I already know the answer to, but it's designed really to get an idea of who the seller is. Of course, substantial feedback in the guitar arena helps too. Still, I've been getting more antsy about e-bay, buying and selling.

For JimmyAce's, hopefully (though unfortunate for the seller) it's just a case of the seller struggling to keep it together, and the axe will ship now. Divorce is tough, and makes everything else you do tougher too, but the Seller needs to get that axe on the road.

17. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

tis why you need to use Pay pal all the time every time. eventually they protect you against this stuff

but with 500 +'s i think youll be alright in the long run but id be losing sleep anyways

it odd though that he'd keep the guitar in a "bank Vault" seems strange

18. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Kernel, I also had quite an email dialogue with the seller, which made me more comfortable. Good suggestion/observation.

19. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

That's not too far a drive for a good beating.

What city is he in? I have friends that may be able to help.

20. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

absolutely!! before reading i was going to say hop on a plane. theres is no way i would this slide or stand back while the "law" does nothing.

BUT before you do anything drastic i would wait it out as many people have suggested. if a divorce is going on this guys world could have been flipped upside down. i know how you feel and i don't blame you. i would "try" to hold out before you truly panic.

if i were in this situation and my family is about to implode you certainly would not be at the top of my short term priorities.